Chapter 1

I glance at the wall clock hung above the counter again, a sigh escapes my lips as I take note of the time and get the counter ready for the customers, though I don't think there will be much crowd today since the new diner that opened down the st...

I glance at the wall clock hung above the counter again, a sigh escapes my lips as I take note of the time and get the counter ready for the customers, though I don't think there will be much crowd today since the new diner that opened down the street a month ago has been prospering more, we do get a good number of customers per day and make a good profit but since that diner's opening the crowd has been less, and the income is not as much, the café that I work in is owned by an old man, Mr. Williams. He used to run this café along with his wife, but it's been only him and me since his wife died 2 years ago. 

They loved to bake and opened this café about 11 years ago. I have been working at the café for 3 years along with another job because I need the money and it's hard to find high paying jobs with little to no qualifications. I couldn't go to college because I could not afford it and didn't get to complete my high school. 

So yeah, I work here every day from 8 am to 5 pm and work in a restaurant as a waitress from 6 pm to 10 pm. Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if my parents hadn't abandoned me. I shove that thought aside and go to clean the tables.   

Mr. Williams always tells me that I am like a daughter to him, he didn't have any children, so he considers me as his daughter. I walk into the kitchen to find Mr. Williams getting the trays ready for me to set on display. 

We get everything ready, there's still time for the lunch break to begin in the company near which our café is situated. We both sit down to rest for some time and chat. "So how have you been Asena?" Mr. Williams asks me "I have been good Mr. Williams, just doing what I do, nothing else." 

Mr. Williams laughs at my tone "How many times have I told you not to call me 'Mr.Williams' it makes me feel old"  

"but you are old"

"hey young lady, I am not old alright, I can work very well and am physically fit, how do you consider that any signs of old age?"

"I don't know, your gray hair and your wrinkles kind of give you away"

"Just because I have gray hairs and wrinkles does not mean I am old, you get that kid?"

I laugh "Okay, Mr. Williams. You are not old, I am merely very young in comparison to your age, alright?"  

"Yes, and stop calling me Mr. Williams, call me Liam, it's a pretty name you see, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this, but it's been three years Asena three years." 

"But I am accustomed to calling you Mr. Williams, calling you by your first name feels weird to me" I shrug. 

He sighs "The same excuse again. Fine keep calling me Mr. Williams, not like you wouldn't even if I tell you not to" I grin at him and nod, and he laughs again at me.