In the present time

Althea woke up in an exceptionally plush bed. Comfort surrounded her, dissuading her from the idea of getting up, even when the crying of a baby pierced her ears. Slowly, reality materialized: this was not her bed, and the crying belonged to a baby she didn't know. She sat up abruptly, her heart beating fast, while she looked around the room and tightly clutched the stuffed mouse she was holding. Her movements did not go unnoticed, as the door opened, revealing a concerned Scarlett, holding a baby in her arms.

"Are you okay, little one?" Scarlett asked.

Althea blinked, suddenly remembering everything, and her small body relaxed.

"Yes, I got scared," she murmured, looking around with less anxiety. "Good morning, Scarlett!" she smiled at the woman, who responded with another smile.

The baby began to babble and extended his little hands towards Althea, showing an innate curiosity about the girl.

Althea got out of bed, walking barefoot on the carpet, and reached out to grab the baby's hand.

"Good morning, Cosmo," she said with a smile that lit up her face.

Scarlett felt the urge to hug her two little ones but restrained herself from frightening Althea. She remembered that she needed to take everything slowly, as she awaited the results to avoid another devastating blow.

Instead, trying to maintain a cheerful atmosphere, she asked, "Who wants pancakes?"

"ME!" Althea exclaimed with a little jump, making Cosmo laugh. "But what are they?" she commented a moment later. Scarlett burst into laughter and took the girl with her.

Shortly after, Althea found herself in front of a plate of chocolate chip pancakes. She took her first bite, and her eyes widened at the delicious taste, running her tongue over her lips.

"It's so good," she murmured as she continued to eat, but soon she realized she couldn't eat anymore. Scarlett noticed that she had hardly taken a bite, but decided not to insist for the moment and took the plate away.

"Do you want to play with Cosmo while I clean up?"

Althea nodded and followed Scarlett to the playroom, which she hadn't noticed the night before.

"But..." she suddenly stopped in her tracks. "What about my backpack?" her eyes welled up as if she were about to cry. What she had inside that backpack was the most important thing to her.

"Colin went to get it, little mouse. I don't think it'll take long," Scarlett stroked Althea's cheek. "Now, go and play, and don't worry."

Cosmo shared his toys, handing over everything he had in his hands and making noises and attempts to speak. Althea responded as if she understood and nodded many times.

"Do you want to build a castle?" she asked Cosmo, seeing the blocks he was holding, covered in drool. "You can pass me the ones of your favorite color, and we'll use the drool as glue."

Cosmo gurgled.

"Exactly!" Althea responded, taking the first block that Cosmo handed to her. "Lots of drool, Cosmo," she said as she built the castle, and her hands continued to get sticky. "Our teacher says that sometimes less is more, and now I think I understand," she looked at Cosmo for a moment, and the baby stared back, laughing.

Colin surprised Scarlett, who was watching the kids while trying not to laugh.

"What are you doing?" Colin whispered.

Scarlett made a hushing gesture with her finger and pointed for Colin to pay attention.

"Pass me another block, Cosmo, we're getting to the top of the castle," Althea requested as she admired her creation with pride.