Chapter 16: Visions of an empire

The scene cuts to an elaborate-looking bedroom somewhere in Outworld. Sindel is seated on a comfortable-looking armchair and is using some kind of talisman to generate what could be described as the magical equivalent of a hologram, and that hologram shows Shang Tsung is whom she is speaking.

"We will rendezvous at the Isle of Kronika. The fools believe victory is at hand. Their misplaced confidence will be their demise" Shang Tsung says smirking "Such a pity my daughter embraces their sentimental values" Says Sindel "Having second thoughts, Sindel?" Shang Tsung asked "Hardly. Kitana courts a peasant and obeys the Thunder God. She couldn't be a bigger disappointment" She says disgusted "One can only imagine. The Isle... do not be late. An eternal empire awaits you"

Sindel pauses for a moment "....What of (Name) and Calithea? Are...Are they both safe" She asked sounding genuinely worried. Shang Tsung looks at her surprised slightly "...You worry for their safety as well?" He asks "That woman was the one to kill me when she had no training I respect her As for Calithea...she is of my blood" She replies looking away, dismissing the fact that Kitana was of her blood as well "I understand" Shang Tsung replied. In his mind, he too worries for them both not only for their disadvantage but for the little girl. yes, he was evil but a part of him worried for the little girl who, without him creating Mileena, wouldn't exist. In a way, he cared for her in a maternal way.

He waves a hand and the hologram disperses. Sindel smiles wickedly to herself, but promptly changes her expression to a regal indifference when she hears a knock on her door "Enter" She says. Kitana opens the door and walks into the room. Sindel immediately gets off her armchair and bows to her.

"Kitana Kahn," Said Sindel "Oh, don't be so formal, mother," Kitana said smiling "You are Kahn, Kitana. Command the awe of your subjects...even me" Her expression changes to a (seemingly) warm smile "Ah, I shall never tire of greeting you" Said Sindel "Nor will I tire of calling on you" Kitana's smile is genuine, which seems to amuse Sindel.

"Our battalion is leaving for the Sea of Blood. Queen Sheeva and the Shokan will follow as rear guards.

Sindel walks up to a dressing table and drops her talisman in a drawer, away from Kitana's eyes. As she closes the drawer, Sindel calculates her next move "May I request something?" She asks "Mother, you don't have to--"

Sindel looks over to her daughter, silently reminding Kitana of her earlier words. Kitana takes the hint, replying in a more formal tone "Make your request" "Sheeva... Queen Sheeva risked everything to restore me. Honour demands that I accompany her into battle" Sindel replied "Yes, it does. And that display of loyalty is sure to rally the Shokan's spirits"

Sindel walks up to Kitana and performs another bow, this time going down onto one knee before her "Thank you, Kitana Kahn"

Kitana reaches out her hand. Sindel takes it and gracefully gets back to her feet. Her daughter throws her arms around her in a loving embrace... but Sindel's face, now it is no longer visible by Kitana, shows nothing but cold contempt.

The scene cuts to the underground dungeons of the Outworld Koliseum. Two Shokan walk into the prison room of a large, severely beaten and bloodied, but still monstrous-looking humanoid with draconic arms. As the camera zooms in, we see that this monster is the former Emperor of Outworld, Shao Kahn.

He holds out a hand in front of him as if trying to find his bearings. His eyes are dripping with blood and are blackened. The injuries caused by Kitana's fans in their climactic battle have left him blind.

Sindel approaches the prison cell as the two Shokan begin beating Shao Kahn offscreen. He struggles to stand, but they continue to rain down heavy punches on him "Hah! Doesn't know when to quit. Let's finish him" Said one of the Shokan.