Five More Minutes (The one where Jake doesn't make it)

***

It's here when I wake up every single morning

Follows me down the stairs

In the paper on the wall and the plaster on the ceiling

Every single drop of air that I'm breathing

What am I supposed to do

What am I supposed to do with

All the love you left me

It can't hold me, it don't kiss me

But in these sheets, it lays down with me

All the love you left me

You left me, left me, left me, left me

Can't wash it off like makeup

Leave it in the closet like a dress out of style

Can't light it up and burn it

Box it up and send it like the shirt you left behind

What am I supposed to do with

All the love you left me

It can't hold me, it don't kiss me

But in these sheets, it lays down with me

All the love you left me

I turn the lights on, I turn the lights off

But it don't matter, baby, all that I got is

All the love you left me

(You left me left me left me left me)

The love you left me

Sara Evans - All The Love You Left Me

***

The saddest word

in the whole wide world

is the word almost.

He was almost in love.

She was almost good for him.

He almost stopped her.

She almost waited.

He almost lived.

They almost made it.

Nikita Gill

***

Javy's Best Man Speech (given at the adults-only reception the night before, because Celia saw it beforehand and realized it would not go over well with all the kids at the actual ceremony) goes like this:

"You fucking fuckers. You two have been the biggest pains in my ass for twenty goddamn years now. I should have known from the moment you two saw each other when you tried so damn hard to make it look like you were looking at other people, that I was never going to get a good night's sleep again. I have put up with so much shit, so many sleepless nights, I think I became an alcoholic there for a minute. It's been a decade and the two of you are still as locked on to one another as you were in the beginning. Thank god you guys finally worked it out and I can stop drinking. I can't...I spent hours trying to figure out what words couple properly express how happy I am that the two of you are finally together and happy. I feel like I raised two kids and they just graduated college and became useful adults. I've raised you so well. (Jake had chucked a bread roll at him at that point) Seriously, I don't think you two realize how many people were pulling for you and even when I had my doubts, I was still hoping. It's impossible not to when you're looking at two people that so obviously belong together. I don't think there's anyone else that could make you guys happy...or put up with you for so long. (this time Bradley throws the bread roll) You guys make each other better because you want to and it's so fucking amazing to watch it happen. All those poets and writers and movies have no idea what it really takes. Or what it means to actively choose someone when you know it's going to take work to make it, well, work. Seriously, you guys have no idea how relieved I am that you finally got your shit together. (He might have been tearing up at this point, but there's no recording so no one can prove anything.) You're so fucking good together and I think I'm getting used to walking in on you two because it doesn't even gross me out anymore, you're actually kind of hot now, and the nightmares have stopped. (He was definitely drunk by this point.) I think it's Stockholm Syndrome, but that's okay. I just want Jakey to be happy and I don't know why the chicken is the one that makes you happy, but he does and you make him happy and it's great, really. Just be happy for fuck's sake, you guys deserve it! You're so much less of a pain in the ass when you're happy...Also, I paid someone to get rid of that couch while you guys were away for the weekend, so you can stop blaming each other.