Chapter 30 (Raine): Wherever You Are

I know as the mother of a new baby I should find nothing more interesting than my little boy, but I have to confess: while Alexandre fascinated me, watching Butcher with Alexandre fascinated me even more.

The giant man barely let Alexandre down. He took over diaper changes when he was at my place, he handled burping, he handled baths -- but all of his care continued even after I passed my six-week mark and I was back to normal, able to do whatever I wanted. I was lucky I got to hold Alexandre while I nursed him.

"You have to put him down to sleep," I said to Butcher night after night.

"Why?"

"Because he'll never learn to sleep in a crib otherwise. He'll fuss and expect to be held all the time before he can sleep."

Butcher's stare was unnerving. "I'll just tell him to stop," he said, as if it were the most obvious solution in the world.

And that settled that matter, and Alexandre continued to be the most-held baby in the world.

Somehow, despite always having Alexandre tucked in his arm, Butcher rarely took his eyes off me. If I was feeding our son, he was right there, silver eyes burning. He watched me like a hawk, and I finally figured out why: he was taking lessons on how to show love.

I put my theory to the test. One day I cooed who's maman's beautiful boy? to our son while I stroked his soft, chubby baby cheek repeatedly with my index finger.

Not an hour later, Butcher was holding Alexandre in one arm, and he took one huge finger and stroked it down Alexandre's cheek. "You are maman's beautiful boy," he said. He definitely didn't coo it; it was almost like Butcher was giving our son an order and daring him to disagree.

And, I have to admit, it melted my heart.

"Macelliano is here to stay, Raine," my mother said to me one day after she arrived and Butcher left to handle some club business. She refused to call him Butcher, and although he sneered slightly every time she said his name, he didn't tell her not to call him that. "How do you feel about that?"

Wasn't that the question of the hour? How did I feel about Butcher being a permanent fixture in my son's life?

"It's his son, too, Maman," I said. "I can't keep him from Alexandre."

My mother looked at me with pity. "Let me clarify: Macelliano is here to stay because of you, Raine. He will never leave you."

"Maman, I don't think you're reading the situation correctly. He adores Alexandre." I think he likes me, too, but he hasn't said anything remotely personal in a while.

"I'm not denying that. I have to practically wrestle my own grandson from his arm before he leaves here. But it's you, Raine, that he's truly here for. Your son is an incredible bonus to him, certainly, but Macelliano is here for you." 

"We'll see, Maman." I wasn't being deliberately obtuse; I just could never assume with a man like Butcher. He might find being a family man wasn't something he could do long term.

I could see the look in my mother's eyes as she was faced, once again, with my stubbornness: What am I going to do with you, Raine?

Two weeks later, Butcher told me to go get ready while he packed a diaper bag for Alexandre. 

"Want to take you out somewhere."

I froze and crossed my arms over my chest. "The last time you said those exact words to me, instead of taking me on a date like I thought, you kidnapped me, took me to Hotel Hell and held me hostage there. Then you threatened me with death and called me a slut, so I'm not going anywhere with you until you tell me where we're going."