Chapter 14

"...wand of elder, never prosper". -Beedle the Bard/J.K. Rowling

I was taken back to Lorne and Todd's private alcove. They locked the doors and I sat on the floor, watching them. I was honestly bored and ready to get back so I could find out about how to win the jousting tournament.

Todd growled at me, "Did you really think you could double-cross us so easily?"

"Who says I double-crossed you?" I yawned.

Todd snarled, "We said to come IMMEDIATELY with the book. And what did you do, pray tell? You defied orders!"

"While I had the book, I discovered some interesting information reading through Ryder's letters, but I suppose you don't want to hear it..." I stood up and brushed the imaginary dust off my clothes.

Lorne honed in. "Spill it. We'll reward you."

"Lorne! She just backstabbed us and you want to...?" Lorne clamped a hand over Todd's mouth.

Lorne grinned. "I know you must have some juicy tidbits that you're just dying to get rid of; if you share, you'll get to read the book, and we'll get some good jousting equipment for you in the tournament tomorrow. With our help, you'll be best suited to be crowned the new Champion. You know that the status of Champion will best elevate you, as you so desire to rise."

"Deal." I shook Lorne's hand and Todd was silent, scowling all the while.

I smirked. "Butterfly was trying to edit the book while she had it, probably to change evidence. She couldn't crack the editing spell though, and was having trouble maintaining her jamming spell up to the very end."

"Good, good, what else?" Lorne's eyes were enraptured.

I went on. "The Favored do not wish to sponsor me in the tournament, so I am all yours. They wanted to sponsor Faun, yet said she was 'out of commission,' but I don't know what that was supposed to mean. Oh, and I may have dug up something about Ryder's past."

"You have something on Ryder?! Tell us. I'll give you anything for it." Lorne pleaded.

I grinned. "Anything?"

"Anything." Lorne was sincere.

Todd couldn't take anymore of this. "Stop at this instant! Pet said 'may.' That means she doesn't know for sure. What if the information is false?"

"Then I'll know. You know I always know, honey." Lorne waved off Todd dismissively.

Todd's face turned red in anger. "Pet is unreliable. She is untrustworthy. What if she uses magic to jam your sense of true and false?"

"No. I wouldn't do that." I glared at Todd.

I was many things, as I'd been finding out lately, but I wasn't a liar.

Lorne sighed. "It's a valid point. Todd, we'll investigate what she seems to have. Pet, give evidence to support your claim."

"Ryder may be related to Elegance. They have the same eye color, down to the gold around the black of their eyes, and they've never slept with each other even though Favored sleep with all the other Favored besides the exception of Elegance and Angel. I don't think they're siblings, but there's something important enough in their relation to embarrass Ryder enough to leave after I brought it up." I reported.

Todd scoffed. "Decent report. However, anything supposedly on Ryder needs strict check-ups. Lorne, you heard the news from the Leaves that Angel is coming over here to bed with us, correct?"

"Yes. The Favored are looking for information, as always when they send Angel. We'll extract from her just as equally." Lorne plotted.

I wonder if Butterfly ever knew that Angel being sent to "loosen lips" worked the other way around.