6

JJ pov

What's fun about living right next to Sarah, John B and Bri is that we all have dinner together. They buy the food and I come and eat it. Although they come over basically every night, sometimes Pope and Kie have dinner with their parents. Tonight, it's only gonna be me, John B and Sarah. Kie wants a little space for the weekend to get over us and what not and Pope's parents want him home. Oh, and Bri has her little date with Rafe. I'm not happy about it. 

I'm sure Sarah and John B won't be either. They took her to the store to get stuff for dinner. Apparently, she's gonna tell them while they're there. I'm nervous. No matter how much I hate Rafe and how he's been taking advantage of Bri, I still care about her feelings. I can tell she really likes him. I'm worried they'll be mad at her for this and then she'll end up not being allowed to go and then be in a really bad mood for the rest of the day. At least she'd be with me and not him. What am I saying? I love Bri like a little sister. If she thinks Rafe can make her happy, then I'm happy too.

Bri pov

"Bri, wait!" Sarah whisper-yells. I turn to face her as she catches up to me. We walk through the store together.

"What's up?" I ask.

"What's up with JJ? Why was he so upset?" she asks almost immediately. It's as if my heart clenches. It's one thing to talk about my own feelings, but it's another thing to talk about other people's feelings.

"It doesn't matter." I lie. It matters more than anything. He matters more than anything. Shut up Bri. You're over him.

"Of course it does. Wait, does it have anything to do with the fact that Kie isn't coming to dinner tonight?" she asks. Fuck.

"No. She said her parents want her home tonight so just drop it Sarah." I say trying to keep my tone calm and collected.

"Ok, whatever. What about you? Ditching dinner for what? A hot date?" she teases.

"Yeah actually. That's exactly what I'm doing." I say, a smirk appearing on my face.

"Oo! Who's the lucky guy?" she asks. Fuck. I knew she was gonna ask me that, but I wasn't prepared for it. Rafe did say I can tell people. But it just feels wrong.

"Uhm... His name's..." I stutter.

"Spit it out Bri." she says, her face displaying her clear annoyance.

"Fine," I say, "It's your brother." I mumble.

"Brianna Routledge I swear to god, if you don't speak up you will not be going." she says sternly.

"Rafe." I whisper nervously.

"Shit." she mumbles, "JB will not be happy when he finds out."

"That's why I wasn't gonna tell either of you!" I say, growing annoyed.

"You wouldn't have been able to get through the door if you didn't tell at least one of us. But he'll see the car anyways. You're better off telling him Bri." Sarah says, telling me the exact thing I did not want to hear.

"Can you just tell him for me?" I whine.

"Get your ass over to him!" she says sarcastically through gritted teeth. I groan before stomping my way over to my brother.

"What's wrong with you? Your date cancel?" John B snickers.

"No. I just have to tell you who I'm going out with." I huff.

"Great, that makes my job a whole lot easier. What's the assholes name?" he asks, smirking at me. I frown.

"Just promise you won't get too... stupid when he comes to pick me up tonight?" I ask hopefully. He laughs.

"As if!" he says. Then he notices the fear displayed on my face. "Fine. As long as he isn't Rafe, I won't touch him." he smiles at me warmly. My frown grows.

"Well this won't end well then." I mumble.

"Fucksake. Of course he's taking my sister out!" John B yells, running a hand through his hair.

"Don't cause a scene. We've been dating about a week now anyways." I say. John B looks directly into my eyes. I swear I see smoke coming from his ears. His face is all red and his eyes are wide.

"A week?" he screams, "And you still haven't told me?"

"Because I knew you'd flip out!" I yell. John B looks at Sarah and takes a deep breath.

"You know what Bri? Go out with him. Get your heart broken. Just don't come crying to me." he says sternly, but calmer than before.

"I wouldn't come crying to you anyways." I mutter.

"Exactly, you'd go to JJ." he mumbles, "God, why couldn't it have been JJ?" he says. Because he had a girlfriend, jackass! is the first thing that pops into my head. And then it's, and Rafe made it happen. I wish I could say that.

No matter how hard I try, I don't think I'll ever be able to get over JJ. He was my first love and he always will be. There is nothing I could ever do to change that. I will always love him, even if I have to force myself to love him platonically. He'll always be in the back of my mind, reminding me of every single reason why I should be with him and not Rafe. Why I should love him and not Rafe.

...

Rafe said that the place we're going to is a jeans and sweater type of place. I can do that. I chose some jeans that give me an ass but are still baggy and a sweater that is comfortable but nice. I paired the outfit with my clean Converse and a small handbag. I think I look great. I decide to sit on the couch until he gets here.

JJ joined me about two minutes ago. I've been sitting on my phone but I can tell by his body language that he wants to talk. I put my phone away.

"What's up?" I ask knowing that if I ask, he'll answer.

"You look nice. Are you excited?" he says and I fight the urge to blush.

"Uh, thank you and yeah, I am." I say, allowing a smile to spread across my face.

"I'm sorry for putting all my Kie stuff on you. I don't wanna burden you." he says sweetly. I straighten up and take his hand into my lap.

"You are not a burden. I'm sorry if I made you feel like you are." I say and he smiles.

"You didn't. I felt like I was burdening you. I hope you have a great time and when you get back... tell me everything. All the goods and the bads." he says. I give his hand a gentle squeeze.

"Obviously. I need to de-brief with someone and I can't do that with Wheezie cause Rafe's her brother so that's just weird. Anyways, he's here now. I'll see you later JJ." I say. He stands up and walks me to the front door where Rafe is waiting with flowers.