Gotchard Episode 4 Review

Honestly, Valvarad's debut fight could've been in episode 3, but I guess there was probably a choice to balance out the screentime so there wasn't too much going on in one episode.

So there's two things about Spanner:

Taking on my shipping goggles and assuming as a graduate he's only around 18-19 so this isn't too odd, he's got some romantic or at least academic intrigue in Rinne. It makes sense, her dad was possibly one of the most important Alchemists at the Academy, so he holds her in high regard as well. 

So either it's a unrequited crush or a sign that he mostly sees her as a means as a sign he values certain talents over others. There's a good reason he only shows kindness to Rinne, and while part of me just wants to be that he thinks he's good for her just on value alone but she falls for Hotaro's friendship more since he values her as a person rather than a object of alchemist hierachy.

Giving Hotaro cooking skills as a means to want to bring Rinne to the shop really shows he cares about their bond enough to want to cheer her up.

Renge's outfits are always hilarious, like why is she wearing a tiger hat, what led to this? I love it, it's fun to give your characters these odd unique traits.

I actually like Renge appealing to Hotaro by seeing the Chemies as an opportunity to make new friends. Though it makes me wonder what she's going to use Clemantis for.

I guess you could say the top brass really wanted a Spanner in the works, hehe.

"Let me make this clear, I'm not a student, we're equals across titles," yeah you just graduated recently, don't get all high and mighty.

Spanner's smiles, see even Hotaro thinks he as a crush on her.

"The Wheel of Fate has begun to turn, was it." I wonder what they mean by that, to open the door of darkness, or something else?

The Chemies have been presented in a sympathetic light as innocent creates, but honestly, seeing the Ant Chemy just be brutally forced to work against their will by Lachesis is pretty sad to see. Like you legitimately feel bad for these familiars.

It was pretty cool to get a standoff between Hotaro and Rinne against the Three Dark Sisters.

This was Lachesis turn to be the acting general, and as the one with a thing for Fuga, her just taunting Rinne with his death was intense. 

Her using the Ant Malgam to make more children to act as her soldiers after bringing our heroic duo into an anthill with the territorial advantage put enough suspense into their actions. That acid spit is dangerous.

The set is pretty unique. I don't think this is the Helheim setting, but in an underground location, playing with just simple concepts like a cave in, using pillars to defend oneself, and wall running just gives the right atmosphere of tension and dread you really get to appreciate. 

I will say I had thought Hotaro learned that Fuga was the one who gave him the driver, but technically he was told that Fuga had the Driver and Chemies, he just didn't know what was the full connection. Having both of them get the full story as Lachesis mentally rips Rinne a new one really makes you feel for her.

Sucks Sasukemaru doesn't get a form, but I'm glad the Ninja Chemy got some usage. 

Rinne's disillusionment with alchemy to the point she sees it as a duty makes a ton of sense for her character up to this point, she's been rigid and uptight because that's what her father told her to do, but betraying him only made her want to see him with rage. 

The fact she may never see him again and she sees herself as having nothing to strive for beyond just her duty really shows how broken this experience is for someone who's just barely close to an adult.

And this is why having someone like Hotaro and both their parents are necessary. Life is cruel, cold, and unfair, but we can't give into despair just because our jobs can be draining. We aren't defined by our obligations, they're the means to help us accomplish our dreams.

And if Hotaro wants to befriend all Chemies through Alchemy, she'll reunite with her father through them.

The Wild Forms being used over them being suits I get may be a compromise to not using more money on suits, but at least I like Hotaro's using them more by treating them as friends who can help. Energy pulling a light themed Shadow Sneak to save Rinne and put the drop on Lachesis put a smile on my face.

And give props to Rinne for trying to backhand her, but her magic power is running out so unless that device next week helps her out, it's better she try that from a distance.

I wish MadPilets got to be the form who defeated Lachesis, but I will say that Appare Skebow's fight this episode actually felt more impactful in than last episode, and the final attack was much more cinematic.

Of course Spanner Kurogane/Valvarad pulled up with a car to send to Hotaro to at least get Rinne out of the way.

MadPirates is a cool design.

Spanner just trying to talk to Rinne and her just not responding every single time, but always ends up going to hang out with Hotaro instead just puts a smile on my face.

Wait, Professor Minato knows his home address...or visited the restaurant to find out?

I always love seeing Hopper hum and dance to Hotaro's singing as he finishes his food, and that he made it specifically for her.

"No Gotcha," okay, well she didn't hate the food, just thought it was a little off.

The next episode should be pretty interesting all things considered. He'll probably get the Wrestler card then to merge with the Ant, but this is going to be the first time we see all the other students outside of the school. I hope it ends up a fun bonding opportunity, especially to spend more time with Renge and Sabimaru.