Gotchard Episode 37 Review

Breaking news, the worst possible event that could've occurred in the worst possible way.

But first, a skateboard having to be brought into the base of the Academy like it was a medical person in need of emergency, but Gigist effectively found a way to transmute life out of his own creations and children. Again, they're committing to the Chemies being living creatures: if you saw someone carrying a patient on a stretcher being rushed through the hospital and Kyoka is the closest thing the crew has to a medic/doctor.

What's interesting is that the black flames Gigist used are more red than Spanner's purple but they exist inside of Skebows despite being dead. Given it's most likely there's no one they're going to kill off the Chemies permanently, it's possible the Black Flames are a rare alchemist technique passed down to those either with the potential or gained the ability to garner their own malice into alchemy that allows them to make stronger transmutations based on how Spanner was able to cleave Dread, or in disable another's ability to transmutate. Given there's some inside of Skewbows, it's possible a strong or high level of Alchemy might be able to cure or heal his condition. So either Houtarou or Spanner would need their own power up to make it happen.

It is nice to see that Hopper 1 remembered the folktale from Fuga's book to try and cheer Hotaro up, even going around the city. It does make sense, he accidentally threw Hopper 1 off his shoulder. With everyone focused on Skebows and trying to fix their condition. Going to try and restore your best friend's spirits is relatable enough but given what's to come later, it's probably best to enjoy the cute antics.

And props for Tamami for being the most emotionally intelligent show where that's a big requirement for character development and dynamics: using her cooking to remind him that his losses doesn't mean he has treasures worth value, immediately recognizing he's ignoring his best friend.

This is less of a complaint, more of an observation, but there's been a strict argument within certain Kamen Riders fans they we don't focus on the Monsters of the Week or have Kaijin/Monsters has the villains when instead it's just Rider vs Rider conflicts. Personally, it depends on what the story's going for: Gaim did both pretty well for example, but making the Chemy's also potential Monsters of the Week is one of the more appreciative aspects since they're able to have two characters in one as either a power up or obstacle.

But barely anyone has talked about for the first time in a while we don't have any mooks and footsoldiers, so making AntTrooper the closest thing we have to that to show off the threat of them becoming stronger Malgams shows off Gigist's enhancements, but also shows how much Sibamaru, Renge, and Rinne have grown since they do a good job using alchemy to fight back for a time until Hotaru get there.

Though it's not fun watching Rinne get knocked out. It makes sense, she's grown from being apathetic to the Chemies to carrying for them, but still.

But we've got Minato and Valvarad for the save: true we kinda need their pragmatism for this: every life counts despite our nineteen year old's issues. And it's consistent, Spanner will do whatever it takes to fight Malgams if they hurt people, and Minato's been in the middle, he respects them and their influence when they're positive but there's a good reason why he doesn't want them to get involved in human affairs when things get toxic. It's not a regression, just change in formalities.

And then, Hopper 1 finds the flower he's looking for, Gigist is turning him into a Malgam, but Hopper's able to Digi-Poke-Chemy Volve? Into Cross Hopper, which given that field of malice, really should've propped over to Gotchard's side so they could henshin into Platinum. But hey, he broke the field so things should be all okay

"The bright the light, the darker the shadow cast.....," oh no, it's a Malgam of Cross Hopper.

Hey remember back in episodes eleven through twelve when Shiori threatened to turn Hopper1 into an Malgam, and it came off to some as an empty promise and bravado before she got taken out as she deserved though some people were worried this is for what was to come within the series. Yeah.....

Here's a fun fact, according to the episode's production notes, Hopper 1's actress had hoped two episodes ago her character wouldn't turn evil. Technically, he didn't turn: he just got afflicted into becoming a near mindless creature.

It can try to restrain themselves to fight Houtaro, but Valvarad...well remember back in episode three where Spanner tried to kill him with a kendo sword: okay beat him down and put him in a Chemy Capture Card to store away a tool and Hopper1 fought back? Yeah, this is that scene but now a million times worse with the roles reversed, and it's got his experience as Gotchard because that grasshopper malice horde attack slamming down onto Spanner's Kamen Rider form and knocking him out of his transformation is so evil Kamen Rider like it hurts.

Then he starts beating up Hotarou, which for the people who hate Gotchard, should be satisfying to watch an innocent teenager get beaten up. Though they probably won't be happy it's in character for him to let himself die if it helps ease the pain: though let's be honest, it'd only make Hopper 1 more insane. At least he has the restraint to fight back until....that

Is it technically the fault of the little boy who ran for his dinosaur even when his mom had to pull him away from getting involved with the Hopper Malgam? NO! Like yes, he got Hopper's attention, but it's not like we're not gonna forget the reason why he was attacked was because Gigist put the family in danger by turning the Chemy into the monster!

Though you have to give props for Hotarou, this was his make or break moment, and he said he'd protect all lives. When given the choice to protect someone weaker over his best friend, he chose to save an innocent life.

Just the sight of the young protagonist watching the closest thing to a sibling recognizing that he was so depressed that he ignored them, screaming in agony at the sight of the flower he tried to give him while he reminisces on their happy memories together. Even if you don't care about either character and want to shout it to the world, this is the epitome not realizing someone trying to help you get out of depression dies by your hand because someone poisoned him to attack innocent people. Houtaro on the ground about to crumble into despair, all hope is lost, and then an egg appears around Hotaro, and the Chemy inside transports him away.

The question is now: will this new voice and ally be able to bring him back from the brink.

So problems: Rinne has to take the L, Lachesis wasn't in the second half of the episode, though it could be excused she went to help Kyoka out with things since the events of episodes thirty six and seven take place along the same day.

But hey, everything else worked: Houtaro needs an outlet for having to fight three of his earliest Chemy friends who have gone around and hurt innocent people because their biological father is a piece of crap, and splitting up the hero and his best friend only to make them reunite and then fight, like it's tragic, but how he's able to pick himself up is going to be the true test of the next episode.