Brownie

The Surajgarh Haveli had a lot of people running around the centre hall which was decorated wonderfully with marigold strands, lamps and petals. The huge rangoli in the doorway welcomed people into the large hall the farthest corner of which had the marble carved statue of Maata Laxmi and Narayan sitted on the Sesh Naga. A large silver Kalash was placed before her, along with every thing required for the Pujas, The bhog, the flowers, Sandalwood, leaves of Mango tree and Tulsi that were considered auspicious. The other corner was placed with sofas and cushions for the people to sit. The guests were to arrive shortly after the pujas, or so Uai Singh informed Ramrakh.

"The other royals, our kins and the local ministers. They come on every puja and this one is special because they will meet Kunwarani Ajabdeh too." Udai had smiled at Jaivanta's nod as Ramrakh and Hansa shared a worried glance. Hansa and Jaivanta were sitting with the Panditji to check if he needed something more than what was already provided for the Havan including the wood, ghee, leaves, and camphor. Ranisa looked elegant in a golden matt saree with self-embroidery and thin red borders along with a velvet quarter-sleeved blouse and traditional Jewellery while Hansa chose her favourite shade of blue.

"What the hell!" Shakti looked alarmed at his brother wearing a blue bandh gala holding up his grey fitted pyjamas, confused.

"What happened now?" Shakti kept aside the Forbes he was engrossed with and walked up to him. Ready in his white Kurta pyjamas, looking handsome he knew his brother would do with some help, especially after a sleepless night, he had pulled Pratap out of bed and managed to push him to bath, and take out his clothes.

"Nara kaha hai?" Pratap sounded alarmed. "I can't wear this." "Wait, I'm calling Kaka." Shakti smiled.

"No... No..." Pratap sulked, "I need Ranima."

Within minutes, like kids looking for their mother, the two princes "Ranima, Ranima!" rang through the corridor making Udai give Jaivanta a cold stare as she smiled awkwardly with "Yeh bacche bhi na " and rushed to their need.

"Nara?" She frowned at the brothers. "Itne bade ho gaye ho dono..." she sat putting in the string as the two smiled at her. "Stop being kids now!" She frowned. "Your wives won't tolerate this childishness and nakhre Kunwarsa! Main kaha hongi hamesha..."

made them stare at each other with frowns that turned into sly smiles as they rushed from either side to hug their mother tightly.

"Aree Pratap! Shakti! Chodo. Gila kar diya." She stared at her older one smile as they tightened the hug making her smile and pat them. "Acha theek hai chodo!"

"Ranima, pagdi bana dijiye na!" Shakti sulked like a kid. "Mera bhi!" Pratap added.

"Mine first!" "No mine!"

Heer saw the clock ticking away much like a time bomb as her sister lay least bothered, on the bed sound asleep. She knew the last "Brahmastra" she could use.

Splash! Ajabdeh jerked up from sleep all wet as Heer stood with the bucket in hand victorious.

"Fire! Fire!" she shouted, still unable to open her eyes. "Hush Jija! It's me!" Heer giggled.

"What the..." Ajabdeh frowned clueless, water still dripping from her locks as Heer smiled and pulled her up "Time to get ready for the pujas!"

"Oh, noooo!" She sulked.

In a few minutes, Heer was helping her put on an Orange and pink combined saree that Hansa had brought for the occasion.

"I'm telling you, Heer." She sounded serious as Heer put her pallu in place with a safety pin and looked for a brooch in the box. "What if I trip?"