Secular India

Pratap was fiddling with the file in hand and was unusually quiet. Ajabdeh had frowned thrice at him staring out of the window of the Land Rover, his fingers playing on the file, while the driver drove quietly from Surajgarh to Udaipur. She sighed thrice to give signs of boredom in vain. He looked handsome in the blue suit and white shirt with the tie and all in place, she had noticed. She however was not sure of the grey knee-length corporate skirt and white shirt Heer had suggested but she was in no mood for early morning drama with her sister. She had however let her hair loose, not listening to her sister's suggestions. While Pratap's car waited at the gates she had made sure her sister knew when to feed the puppy and how to play with him.

"I named him Brownie," Ajabdeh spoke after thirty minutes of silence. "Hmm. Who?" Pratap seemed lost staring at her.

"The puppy. Brownie." She reminded him. "Are you all right?"

"Just nervous." He shrugged. "This is practically my first meeting, solo and important!" he smiled faintly. "I am glad you liked Brownie."

"Breath!" She showed how to inhale and exhale, making him smile. "I know what will lighten your mood!"

"What?" He asked eagerly.

"Bhaiya Radio on karna Zara!" The driver switched on the radio. "There, music!" she smiled.

" Good Morning Rajasthan! RJ Naveet here and today's topic is "What's Your Story?" This made Pratap stare at Ajabdeh and back at the radio eagerly. "We all have stories to share in life, inspirations, motivations, love, tragedy, comedy, we want entries from budding writers within a week, and the best will be featured on the show and may also get published, who knows!"

"You can try this." Pratap smiled.

"Nah, I don't have a story worth telling." Ajabdeh shrugged smiling "Yet" "Agla gana is a request from the film Badri Ki Dulhania, enjoy all you Lovers!" The music filled in as the car zoomed through the highways.

Tu jo nazron ke samne kal hoga nahi, Tujhko dekhe bin main maar na jau kahi... Tujhko bhul jau kaise, Mane na manaye kaise, Tu bataa....

Roke na ruke Naina.... Teri ore hai inhe rehna...

"Depressing! Bhaiya change it!" Pratap laughed at Ajabdeh's irked expression. Heer opened the Ramayana quite eagerly and smiled at the replaced piece of paper.

"Love is not pain. Love is what makes its presence felt via the pain. Love brings pain as we expect more from that one person and relationship. If not for pain could love be felt so deeply? Think about it, stranger!

Ps. Can I know your name?"

Heer smiled at the words and scribbled down her thoughts.

" Miss Stranger here, I shine like a diamond, and my favourite fictional character is Ranjhnaa. Guess my name!

Ps. You can tell me yours first!"

The Mughal Industries' head office at Udaipur, was a large area with three wings of buildings and an open lawn with a fountain up front. The guards at gate no.5 saluted as the Land Rover with Surajgarh's royal emblem zoomed through the gate and onto the main entrance.

"This way sir." Jalal's designated officer led them to the boardroom at 9.45 a.m. Sharp and asked rather politely "You want tea or coffee Ma'am?"

"No Just Jalal!" Ajabdeh's serious expression confused the man as Pratap shook his head "No nothing! Thank You, Mr. Ahmed."

"Sir will be here any minute." The man left in a hurry as Pratap and Ajabdeh took seats across from each other in the empty boardroom.

"I noticed those employees were staring weirdly at you!" Ajabdeh frowned.