Second Chances

It was early dawn, on Saturday morning at Surajgarh. Kunwar Shakti had just stepped out of his room and was shocked at the number of people running about the main hall. Ranisa Jaivanta was running around the halls too, overlooking the preparations for the arrival of the guest. He smiled with a little shake of his head.

"Ranima, what's happening?"

"Shakti, beta, do me a favour and check if the room upstairs is fine for Ajabdeh?" Jaivanta looked stressed. "I don't want her welcome to lack anything. The way she left the last time..."

"Ranima. Ranima." Shakti held her shoulders with a laugh. "Breath."

They smiled at each other. "I am so happy" Jaivanta patted his head "I hope, for now, these two become friends..." She whispered, smiling "Jalal has promised me..."

"I know Ranima, we all want them to be together." Shakti smiled "But let's not make it obvious for them. When will she arrive?"

"I don't know." Jaivanta shrugged. "Pratap said early morning, why don't you ask him?"

"Dadabhai?" Shakti let out a chuckle "It's 6 am Ranima, his midni...." His eyes stopped at the spiral staircase, down which came the man in question, in his casual jogging tee and track pants.

"Pratap?" Jaivanta raised her eyebrows worried "You are awake?" "You didn't sleep?" Shakti added in equal surprise.

"I slept. And I am awake!" He frowned at the amused duo. "I... umm... " the duo smiled amused at each other.

"I think..." Shakti moved back two steps acting lost in thoughts "Someone can't wait for someone to be here."

"Shakti!" Pratap's warning voice made Jaivanta smile "Ranima. Say something!" He sulked.

"Ha Shakti, don't poke your Dadabhai." Made Pratap smile before Jaivanta added, "Can't you see he is waiting so much for Ajabdeh's arrival?" Shakti let out a laugh while hugging Ranima from behind.

"Ranima! I told you... that..." Pratap made a sulking face and decided to leave for a jog while the duo laughed.

"Pratap, check the room beside Shakti's if it's fitted to Ajabdeh's needs." Jaivanta stopped him.

"Ranima, why does she need to stay here? The guest cottages..."

"She is no guest here." Jaivanta stopped him as Shakti smirked "Besides, what will she do alone there? Here she can spend time with us." Time with Us? Pratap shook his head, he knew where this was going, too well, all over again, but this time, he badly wanted it to, as much as he hated to admit it, even to himself.

The guest in question was however giving her sister a tough time. Sitting in a pretty floral Kaftan and jeans, with long feather earrings, she stared at her sister frowning.

"So much for a weekend" Heer scrutinised her packed luggage as Brownie sniffed at it. "Jija, you are going to work, not for holidays remember?" Ajabdeh frowned at her sister's amused face

"I remember what I am going for but I need my emergency clothes." She shrugged. "In case..."

"Yes, Just In Case..." Heer emphasised sitting down on the couch beside her "Someone asks you out."

"What?" Ajabdeh frowned for a second and realised what she meant "Heeriye, zyada sapne maat dekho!"

"Ha ha, now it's your turn to dream, right jija?" Heer's giggle made her stare coldly.

"Fine! I am not going." She picked up Brownie from the floor. "Come Brownie, let's go sleep."

"No No No No!" Heer sounded alarmed. "M sorry Jija, I am." Ajabdeh laughed at her scared face.