47. Sobs

After making sure the weapon is well of out reach, I turn just as Nora's body drops to the ground

After making sure the weapon is well of out reach, I turn just as Nora's body drops to the ground. With my heart in my ass, I run over to her and check for a pulse immediately.

Her eyes are closed and her pulse is not faint but not as strong as I would honestly like it to be either.

"I need more light." I call out and then a phones flashlight is immediately over the top of us.

One quick glance I see it is Dalion, the need to make sure it is not another person to cause troubles as my guard is on high alert.

My eyes train right to where I see blood. My hand moves Nora's dress making sure of the opening is there. I can make out the bullet hole and then rip the dress open with my fingers. Nora is currently bleeding from her left shoulder to chest area. The deeper red tells me the bullet wound is just three inches above her heart.

Applying pressure to the wound, I try my hardest to slow the bleeding.

Ella's sobs meet my ears as I don't dare move my fingers as I know the bleeding has not slowed enough to release pressure.

"What do you need?" Dalion asks from the other side of me.

"Do you have any loose fabric that I can use to where if the bleeding stems I can release pressure without injuring the tissue around the area more? If I can get the bleeding slowed I wouldn't be able to release pressure without having it because it would pull the skin and mess up the clotting process that would have started." I look over to him for a moment to see his rip his jacket sleeve.

"This will work." He hands it to me and I take it.

Moving my fingers move slowly as I work the fabric under them.

"What else do you need?" Dalion asks and I know he is worried but also even though he has medical experince this is far beyond the degree he holds from what he has told me in short talking we have done.

"There is nothing I can do right now. We have to wait on the ambulance." I sigh and try to reign in the emotions that flow through me in an instant.

Guilt. Sadness. Shame.

The guilt hits the hardest as I should have known better than to kick the weapon from his hands. I should have moved to let him just take the shot on me and not risked this happening.

Stupid.

I much rather be the one shot than Nora right now.

My fingers slowly release the pressure and I feel for her pulse once more. It is there and the same as before.

"Is she okay?" Ella stutters through her sobs.

My eyes look over and see blood on her dress and hands as she is in the puddle of it all next to Nora's head.

"I can't say for sure. Her pulse is steady at the same pace as before it isn't as strong as it should be but it isn't faint." I answer honestly as I cannot lie with any of this.