Bad Idea

'Look me in the eyes and tell me this isn't the stupidest idea I've ever had.' I stared Sanjay directly in the face, who was avoiding eye contact. He was looking around the area like he was questioning ever becoming friends with me.

'I'm not sure I can do that.' he replied, chuckling slightly.

'Well, at least I look good while I'm acting like a total idiot.' I posed with my suitcase, lifting one hand up into a peace sign like I was modelling it.

'When don't you look good, Lilia?' he said sarcastically, sending us both into fits of giggles. I grabbed onto him for support; my legs were already jelly from just the car ride here, and the adventure to come had not barely begun yet.

'If this doesn't work, you are so fucked.' he stated in disbelief, almost in denial that he was awake, that this was truly happening.

'Oh, definitely.' I confirmed. Yet I was so sure in the plan that I couldn't even bring myself to consider that possibility. Self-confidence was not one of my strong suits, but now I was willing for some divine intervention to help me out so strongly that I genuinely believed it was coming.

'And you'll be paying for the fuel.' he shrugged before raising his hands in the air, not willing to take any talking back from me. I proceeded to answer him anyway.

'You offered to drive me here!' I exclaimed, giving him a light punch in the ribs.

'Cost of living crisis, girl. And airport parking does not come cheap. Absolute daylight robbery.'

'You offered.' I repeated, shrugging.

'Because I knew you'd be melted onto the floor already if I wasn't here to walk you in. But you're on your own from here, Lil.' He tried to justify his actions, but soon enough he realised that we didn't have long left before I had to go, and he wasn't about to spend that morsel of time arguing.

He swept me into a tight hug, almost lifting me off my feet; although I was fairly tall as it was, Sanjay still dwarfed me easily. 'Good luck, my favourite girl. Go get him.' He stood back, looking like a proud parent.

'Are you sure we're at the right entrance?' I said, trying to pass some time so that he wouldn't leave me so soon. He caught onto my strategy immediately, breaking into a small smile.

'I promise you're in the right place. Now stop stalling, and don't miss this flight. Or the next one.'

'I won't. Not for the world.'

The plan was simple, right? Hop on the plane to Frankfurt, then take the second one to Ljublana Airport. The shuttle would then proceed to take me down into the main city, where I'd jump into a taxi to my accommodation. If all went well, I would be able to sleep, get up, and head down to the venue, which was conveniently close to the apartment I'd booked.

I was about to attend my first Joker Out concert.

Shit.

'I love you.' he said suddenly, beginning to take a few steps backwards. This meant it was time for me to head inside to the huge terminal, to begin this adventure that I knew had so many possible outcomes.

'I love you too, Sanj.' I wanted him to come in with me so badly, but I knew that was impossible - I had to do this by myself. Grabbing the handle of my suitcase, I turned around, not wanting him to see the tears of weakness that began to spill into my eyes. Given my sleep deprivation, the whole leaving-the-country thing was not going down well in my system. Yet I pressed on, stepping slowly through the open doors into the huge room. One side was lined with huge check in desks, the other full of food vendors and areas to say farewell to loved ones.