4| We've Only Just Begun

[POV; Conan]

dai: Heyyeyeyy
dai: I'm sleeping home today !!!
dai: They took me off night guards because of how tired I am 😭 im getting in trouble lmao
dai: So yeah that :)<3
me: awesome baby.

I kept rereading the texts he sent me an hour ago, excited. I think it's been a week since he didn't sleep with me at home.
It's true he's been feeling like shit lately because of the stress and the lack of sleep, so I'm really happy they give him a little break.

After hearing the short conversation between Rune and Niccolo, I sighed.
Crap, maybe I should've realised Rune wasn't going to be really enthusiastic about reuniting with the man that abandoned him at his worst. What a way to go.

I found Niccolo in the cafeteria, like an hour ago, alongside Harper. After chatting about how his life was now, I had the brilliant idea to get Rune.

I don't even know what I thought was going to happen, honestly.

- Hey...- I said, as Niccolo stood idly in place, staring at the door Rune walked away from.

- You heard that?- He asked, slightly embarrassed.

- ... Kinda...- I scratched the back of my neck.

- No matter, I understand completely. I have rather pictured him reacting as such.- He nodded.

- Give him some time, I'm sure he will be able to settle his feelings and you two can become friends.- I said, patting his shoulder.

He looked to the side, and then smiled at me.

- Thank you, Conan. You haven't changed at all. You've got such a nice and open heart.- He smiled.

I opened my eyes, confused. After all, I said nothing more than a generic phrase.
It's not like I don't mean what I said, but I didn't say anything out of the ordinary.

- Well, you did change physically... and drastically.- He said.

- How so?- I asked.

- You used to have a childish face back in the service. Now you really look like a young man. I like the long hair too!- He said.

- Oh, well. Thanks I guess. You cut yours.- I said, looking at his short hair.

- Yes, I found no reason to keep it long.- He laughed softly.

He grabbed his handbag, as he turned around to face me.

- You should say hi to Dai, I bet he's going to be really happy to see you're back.- I smiled.

- Are you two still together? That's amazing!- He smiled in response to my comment.

- Yeah, we've been together ever since we finished the service. Oh, he went back to medicine. He's a surgery resident at the hospital next to the base.- I said.

- Wow, I never expected him to do medicine.- He said, surprised- What specialty?-

- Pediatrics.- I said- He's getting out of work now, so we can catch him before he goes home.-

- Well then, let's hurry!- He said, excited.

He walked with me to my office to close it, since I already finished and I could head home.
And so, we exited the building and walked around, to the hospital. After calling him and telling him I was waiting for him, we waited. It didn't take long before we heard his voice.

- Heyy.- He said, as he walked up to us.

- Hi!- Niccolo waved.

He squinted his eyes, to then open them and smile widely in surprise.