7| Inside My Head

[POV; Conan]

- Run another lap.- I said, staring at the squad.

They only stared back, some on the ground, breathing loudly. I could hear loud sighing and other complaints.

- Actually, two more laps. Around the lake.- I said, and turned around.

- Yes, sergeant!- Some of them shouted, and stood up.

- Ugh... why do we have Donovan at the start of the morning. Where is Harper?-

- I don't know, even Gates is better than him. Will we ever catch him in a good mood?-

I stood still, after catching that brief conversation.

Well, trust me when I say that I would rather be doing anything else in the world than having to be here ordering you idiots around.

Waiting for them to finish, I pulled my phone to see who kept making it ring in my pocket.

Not surprisingly enough, Harper was the one bombing me with messages.

Harper: hey cono 😃 how the kids doing ?
Harper: dont be too tough
Harper: also ! !
Harper: when you are done come have breaky w me
Harper: im wif elias and holta
Harper: and nicolo
Harper: cafeteria

Jesus, okay. Why can't he write a single paragraph saying all that.

I didn't bother replying.

After catching up with the squad, I told them Carter would meet them later. And that they could rest in the meantime. They thanked me and walked away.

Except one, who walked up to me.

- Sergeant Donovan?- He asked, clutching his chest.

It's one of Carter's soldiers, I don't recognise him at all.

- What's up? You hurt?- I said, noticing his manner.

- No, just tired from running!- He shot a smile at me- Wanted to ask a hypothetical question...-

- Go ahead.- I raised an eyebrow.

- Is it illegal for me to walk inside the main building during free time?- He asked, determined.

Oh, another Rune Holta. What a bliss.

- I mean, not really. Maybe some officers will kick you out, but that's the worse that could happen.- I said.

- I see, I see. Thanks!- He said.

- Do you need anything?- I asked, now curious.

- Nope! Just testing grounds.- He smiled, to then run away as he waved at me.

I had no choice but to head to the cafeteria, still wondering what was whatever just happened.

- There you are, you giant.- Elias said, as he saw me.

I waved, as I sat down at their table. Harper, Niccolo and him stared at me, as Rune worked on some papers.

- Hey...- I sighed, and placed my head on my hands.

- How did training go?- Niccolo asked, politely.

- As always.- I said, rubbing my eyes with my palms.

Elias patted my back, as he laughed.

- Sorry to leave them to you this morning, it was my time to handle paperwork.- Harper said.

- They're my squad too, it's alright. You don't have to apologise...- I said, and raised my look up.

- Be thankful we're friends. I'm still your boss, you know?- Elias smirked, to our conversation.