9

Chapter

Jamez

My heart was racing inside my chest so fast I thought I might faint. I turned up the radio and tried to drown her out, but she was singing and looking so cute with her hair down and comfortable in her sweats that I wanted to just hold her hand. I slowly managed to grab two of her fingers.

She jerked a little, but settled quickly still singing the annoying song I didn't like. She made a frowning face at the lyrics then quit singing.

"I didn't realize this song was about cheating. Gross. I've cheated before and it made me a real fucker." She slammed her free hand down to the radio and changed it fast until Past Lives was playing. She stopped and turned it up.

I liked this song.

My fingers sought out more of her hand and I wasn't satisfied until her slender digits were entangled in mine against her thigh. I let out the breath I didn't know I'd been holding and settled into the driver's seat, slowing my foot and my mind. Just feeling her hand against mine calmed my insides in a way I didn't know was possible.

I liked the warm feeling that swept across my entire being. I liked her. I thought maybe it was time to stop fighting this feeling inside my bones that craved her. I'd said no too many times to count. If I continue to do so she'd turn away from me and find someone better. She'd find someone to love and I wanted her to love me.

"You seem different today." She whispered to me from her seat, almost like she was afraid to speak.

"Yeah, you do too." I whispered back. I dared a small smile just to let her know I was here with her.

She stared at me, blinking a little. She looked away and squeezed my hand. "That's because my hairs down."

I chuckled at her. "Yeah, I'm sure that's it."

"And because you're here. It's funny I was coming here to get away from you."

I laughed again. "You can get me my own room if you want. I'd deserve that. Although, I can't pay you back. I spent all my savings on my broke down car. Even my dads birthday present of a tune up didn't work enough to save it."

"That sucks. What kind of car do you have?"

"Not telling. I don't even drive it to school because I don't want anyone to hurt it. And you like to pour sugar in gas tanks."

She laughed at me. "Only in people's cars that deserve it. That girl was hurting you and I wanted to hurt her back. But I'm not strong like you. I'm little and have to be sly with my come backs."

"You are a strange cheerleader. You of all people should understand sports. It was her job to beat me up. Plus, I won."

She shrugged. "I didn't know that at the time. I saw red and went with it. Haven't you ever done something stupid just because you wanted to?"

I thought about it. "Yeah, I walked to your house today instead of heading to Darius's house where I am welcome. So yeah I guess I have."

"See. Then you get it."

I shook my head, pulling into the resorts large parking lot. "I guess I do." I didn't, but that was okay. We were talking and getting along so why test the waters?

***

Truvy insisted we share a room. She didn't want to pay for another room and she said the room she got had two beds. I was a little disappointed that it had two beds. If she set it up like that then that meant she didn't want to share a bed with me. That hurt a little, but I understood the meaning behind it and therefore shut up about it.