Chapter 23: Exposed

Past

Next day
Today Cason was going to train with Palermo in the gym. He is going to learn the basics of boxing from him, until they are here.

In the gym
"Okay get in the position Cason."

"First you should wide your legs like I am and position your hands like I just did and then began with your first punch-did you get it, Cason?" asks Palermo.

So Palermo was guiding Cason, and he was exactly doing the same as told and they practiced at least for an hour.

"Okay that is for the day..I will see you tomorrow Cason." And they stopped.

"Hmm..okay!"

"I hope my words from yesterday didn't bother you much, did they?"

And Cason nods his head in a no.

"I know that you got a little triggered by them and eventually I crossed my limit too but it was just a part if training-so that you are able to control you anger..it will help you stay calm from now onwards in a situation if ever required."

"I know it was for my own good.
I understand it."

"Hmm."

"So if I may ask, how long have you been working for him-our boss?" asks Cason

"8 years now"

"You willingly joined his gang or were you forced?"

"Actually both. My father wanted me to work for Leonardo and at beginning days I didn't agree to it but eventually my father kept on pressuring me and by passing days I agreed and here I am-but trust me it was a mistake."

"Why would you say that? I thought you have accepted it by now..8 years that's a long period, don't you enjoy it now..ruling, killing, being in charge?"

"Enjoying is something else. But when I started my training with Leonardo's father, yes he was the one who trained me, it was a torture for me. A literal torture. It was hell of a ride with him; I have never seen a man more cruel than him; Leonardo is not like him, yes he has his own ways of torturing people but his father had the deadliest ways."

"Why? What did he do?"

"His father gave me all sorts of training he could have, underwater; also fire training. I remember,  once he burned my hand in the hot coal. It took my hand months to heal."

"So you never thought to give up then, leaving all this torture behind and running away somewhere far away from all of this?"

"Of course I did many times, in fact I still do. But the problem is once you get yourself involved in a dark world; like mafia..you can never escape it or run out. Leonardo won't let you; everything depends upon him; his choices, and his decisions will decide your fate..boy you better live up to his rules and impress him and do not get on his bad side; it's worst."

"I didn't choose this life.
I am forced to live.
I don't want to become what he wants me too..I am not that person; it's not in me, I can never be a cruel person."

"I thought the same about me but life made me choose some other paths, I had to suffer and suffer or give up and die, I chose suffer and survive and I am living today.
You're still young, innocent, naive and you still have a lot to learn from him, from me and others. So don't give up already..because my boy you are already in this world, even though you wish to deny it a hundred times" and he leaves from there.

Few hours later in the hall

"Where is Leonardo?"

"He is not home."