Chapter forty five

After our visit to the cemetery, Mikey and I hopped back on his motorcycle and rode to his house. It's a traditionally house with a beautiful garden in the front, still the same as i remember it.

As we park the bike and approach the entrance, I can't help but notice the serene atmosphere that surrounds the place. I know that this evening is going to be filled with important moments and memories.

Before entering, we take off our shoes at customary households. Mikey, always the gentleman, holds the door open for me, and I step inside, feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

I try to compose myself. Meeting his family is a big deal, and I want to make a good impression. My heart pounds with anticipation as we walk into the room, and I can't help but steal a quick glance at Mikey, hoping for some reassurance.

As we walk through the front door, Mikey can't contain his excitement and yells, "I'm home!" His voice echoes through the hallway, and just as he does, a stern, older voice responds... i think it's his grandfather.

"I told you not to be late, boy!" scoldes Mikey's grandpa from somewhere inside the house.

Mikey quickly replies, "I'm sorry, Grandpa, I was..."

Before he can finish his sentence, his grandpa comes into view... I think I've seen this guy before, and I instantly feel a rush of nerves.

He's an elderly man with a firm expression. "Why are you yelling? What did I tell you about shouting inside the house Manjirou?" Grandpa's voice holds a note of irritation.

I can't help but stifle a laugh, trying to be polite. Mikey's grandpa has a way of commanding respect.

Grandpa pauses for a moment, then his gaze shifts to me. I can feel my cheeks reddening as his stern expression softens upon seeing me, I'm frozen in place, unsure of how to respond.

"Sorry, you have to hear that, my dear" he says in a gentler tone. "I never thought you are his girlfriend".

I blink in surprise, managing to stammer out, "Yes, it's me sir. Really lovely to meet you again".

Mikey looks just as surprised as I feel and asks calmly, "Grandpa, how did you know her?"

His grandpa chuckles as his demeanor becoming more friendly. "I met her the other day at the hospital" he explains. "I needed some help filling out my medical file, and she was kind enough to assist me. She even asked about my health and if I've someone to pick me up... she was worried about me wondering alone".

I can't help but smile at the memory. "Yes, I was worried about your health, sir. I hope you're feeling good now".

He grins back at me, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Well, I'm good, and even better when I saw you, my dear".

As we make our way to the living room, the tension had completely dissolves, and I feel a sense of relief. 

We all settle down on the couch around the low table, and I know that this dinner would be an opportunity to know his family better.

After settling into the living room and exchanging polite conversation with Mikey's grandpa, we're interrupting by the arrival of Emma. She walks in with a curious look on her face, and her eyes locked onto me as if I'm a complete stranger.

It was clear that she's acting like she doesn't know me, despite the fact that we had spent time together before.

I can't help but feel a pang of sadness at her apparent indifference, but I quickly brush it away. I know that the sleepover was too much for all of us, and i can't blame her.