Chapter seventy nine

As Emma and Hinata bid their farewells and left, Emiko and I settle back on the couch, flipping through channels until we settle on a Korean drama. The characters' romantic entanglements and dramatic plot twists provide the perfect distraction from the chaos of the day.

Half an hour into the show, Emiko's phone rings, breaking the silence of our cozy evening. She scrambles to answer it, her excitement palpable even from across the room. I watch with mild interest as she engages in a conversation, her gestures animates and her voice fills with enthusiasm.

Suddenly, Emiko darts towards me, phone still pressed to her ear, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Hey, babe, how about a double date tomorrow?" she proposes, her words catching me off guard.

"What?" I sputter, momentarily taken aback by her suggestion.

She grins, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "I think you forgot to ask Mikey since you said you don't know if he likes those types of things," she teases, her tone playful yet challenging.

I hesitate, feeling a pang of uncertainty gnawing at the edges of my mind. "Well, I did ask him, and he's okay with it as long as I'm happy," I admit reluctantly, trying to mask the doubt creeping into my voice.

Emiko nods in satisfaction, relaying the confirmation to her unseen caller. "Yeah, we're okay about tomorrow night," she confirms before pausing, listening intently to the response on the other end of the line. "Okay, baby, I love you," she murmurs softly before ending the call.

I gaze at her with widen eyes, a whirlwind of emotions swirling inside me. "At least let me ask Mikey if he's free tomorrow night," I protest weakly, feeling a sense of unease settling in the pit of my stomach.

Emiko scoffs, her confidence unwavering. "You're free, and of course, he'll be free for you, isn't he?" she counters, her words laced with conviction.

I sigh, feeling a twinge of frustration at her unwavering faith in Mikey's availability. "I don't know, he's busy with his work and the gang things," I reason, trying to convey my apprehension without sounding overly pessimistic.

Her expression softens, her concern for me shining through her unwavering facade. "If he really loves you like you said, then he'll do it for you," she reassures me, her voice gentle yet firm.

I'm taken aback by Emiko's sudden shift in behavior, her unwavering support a stark contrast to the doubts she has expressed earlier. "Why do I feel like you're starting to hate on him?" I blurts out, unable to contain my confusion any longer.

Emiko shakes her head, her eyes fills with sincerity. "I don't hate him. All I'm concerned about is you being happy. That's all that matters to me," she explains earnestly, her words resonating deep within me.

I nod in understanding, grateful for her unwavering loyalty and support. "I want details" I insist, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "About the double date and everything else".

She grins, her excitement contagious. "Of course, I'll keep you updated on every little detail," she promises, her enthusiasm reignited by our impending plans.

As the evening wear on, we lost ourselves in the drama unfolding on the screen, our conversation drifting between the intricacies of the plot of the show. Jirou, chases after a stray ball of yarn, his antics providing a lighthearted distraction from the weight of our conversation.