Chapter 3: Unwarranted problems

Warming myself up at the fire, I rub my hands furiously together and look at the shaking family in the corner.

"Glare at me all ya want little lass, I ain't goin' no where," my gruff voice leaves my mouth.

Shit, I let my inner sailor out.

The boy hugging his mother glared daggers into my side, while I hogged the fire in the tiny cabin-which was being beaten down by the angry blizzard outside. It's honestly a miracle the door has not caved in.

"Now tell me about dat ugly bastard who chased me down here..." my eyes travel up to the mother who has tears in her eyes.

"It's a glacier yeti...bigger than it's usual size..." she sniffed out.

"Well that's a mystery too ain't it...why did it get that...big..." I trailed off, "hey...you don't perhaps...give that bastard...offerings do ya?" I questioned narrowing my eyes.

The women froze up while the children dug within her arms deeper.

I stood up abruptly and spat on the ground in disdain, "I thought my contract clearly stated all the rules and regulations, but once again ya'r ignore 'em like the damn instruction sheets on how to tie a boat knot," I grow heated unintentionally.

This caused the children to dig further within their mothers embrace, increasing their wariness for me ten fold. I ruffle my hair violently and click my tongue.

"Ya'r just made my job 10 times harder..." I mumble out while pacing back and forth in the tiny cabin.

"Re-educating ya'r duds would be a waste of meh time... I'd rather sit in the blizzard and wait for the bastard to take meh next, then be here any longer," I started packing what little gear I had and made my way to the door until I felt something tug my leg.

It was the mother with tears in her eyes, snot running down her nose, but with a look of determination and fear.

"Please...we knew about everything...please help us..." she sobbed between sentences, "no one wanted to help us when we provided the details..."

She clung to my leg as her children started crying out loud in the corner, making my thoughts turn into a disarray.

"I want my children to live in the sun once again!" Her grip tightened, "after that yeti made the mountain it's home...winter has been spreading through the island! It's a matter of time before it gets us all!"

I groan out in frustration,

'I'm no damn hero. Shit I got my own bills and people to pay...I don't have time for charity work. They don't even look like they have the funds to pay me...'

My gaze turns towards the corner where it's starts quieting down, and I see the children. My eyes soften and I clench them close.

"Don't give me your sob story...give me the details..."

The women hardened face breaks and she smiles in relief, which she then quickly brings me on the uptake.

__________

Equipped with better equipment and more knowledge, I trudge the upwards to the mountain again. Not as ignorant as before. I check the time and grit my teeth.

'I'll have to finish this in a few hours...I gotta go to a meeting soon...'

Making my way back to the cave, I see the entrance a bit different from before. As if something just came in, the footprint being as larger than 10 of me combined.

"Daddies home I see," I sweat and trudge in the cave once more. My head goes back and forth, and I raise the light forward to get a better view before me.