64: Those Of Sedition

I swear my writing style changes whenever I write about Jensi and Ferius and I don't even know why🤦‍♀️

"Where are we going, Ferius?" Jensi asked, gripping the edge of the ridiculous black top hat Ferius had insisted on giving him. "And why do I have to wear this thing?"

"We are, my dear young master Jensi," Ferius exclaimed merrily, like he wasn't walking through enemy territory in broad daylight, "going to meet some of the leading members of Black Cat Hunting. And the top hat is because our theme is old London."

"YOU HAVE A THEME?!" Jensi shouted, drawing some attention from the few people who were on the street despite how early it was. He lowered his voice to a whisper and tried again. "You have a theme?"

"We do indeed," Ferius hummed.

"Why is it old London?"

"Because it makes us feel as though we are in old London. Really, young master, the answers are quite obvious." Ferius himself was decked out in a full old fashioned human suit, a gold tipped cane in his hand.

Jensi groaned. Why on earth did I decide to plan a rebellion with this eccentric man?

They came to Rina Seilver's dress shop presently, Ferius rapping smartly on the door before he plunged in without a warning. Jensi followed, pretending not to notice how his companion ignored the rather loud CLOSED sign. The door clicked shut behind them.

"You're late, Ferius," Rina observed briskly.

The lights were off and the curtains were drawn. Jensi squinted in the gloom as they headed down into the basement. He flinched as bright lights glared at him, harshly contrasting the darkness above.

Three people were assembled inside the room, all of them Jensi's age.

"You're late, Ferius," the girl said. She was sitting at the table, hands folded in her lap, back incredibly straight. Like Ferius and Rina, she was dressed in human clothing—an elaborate dress, embroidered delicately, coloured in pale blue, gold, and thin pink.

"I've been told that twice, my dear Lady Coralis," Ferius replied gracefully. He took a seat at the head of the table.

The girl looked at Jensi up and down. "Your fashion style leaves much room for improvement," she remarked.

"Ferius—um—dragged me to—I mean here—before I had the chance to uh—change?" Jensi scrambled for words.

"I'm Enda Coralis," the girl said, completely ignoring his floundering. "And I'm sure Madam Seilver has something prepared for you."

Jensi looked to his left and was met with empty air—Rina had already disappeared back into the shop.

The remaining two children were both boys. A boy with light brown hair leaned against the wall, reading a thick book. The second boy was sitting beside him, observing the ceiling with a blank expression.

"This is Thorne Fox and Adile Forne," Ferius said, gesturing towards the boy who was sitting and then to the reader.

Thorne didn't move a muscle, but Adile raised his gaze from the book to give Jensi a light nod.

There was a sudden change in the atmosphere of the room, and Jensi realized they were waiting for him to introduce himself.

Clearing his throat, embarrassment turning the tips of his ears red, he said, "I'm Jensi Babblos, pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Enda looked pleasantly surprised. "So you can speak."

Jensi gave her a sour look. "Yes, I can."