❆ chapter twenty-four

"It's my birthday tomorrow

"It's my birthday tomorrow."

Hyerim turned to Haechan who was sitting beside her in the lecture hall, waiting for her professor. "Okay, and?"

"Let's celebrate it together." He seemed excited, clasping his hands together and turning to her in his seat.

She didn't spare him a glance, keeping her eyes on her laptop.

"Hyerim..." He shook her arm slightly, and she let out an annoyed groan, finally looking at him with a scowl.

"Do you have something planned? Not a party, I hate them," she added.

Haechan grinned, successfully convincing her. "Just be ready at your dorm by 5pm tomorrow!"

Hyerim threw on her shoes upon receiving the text that Haechan was outside the dorm. The dorm elevator wasn't working, so she scurried down the three flights of stairs down to the entrance, where she found Haechan, in his signature leather jacket and slim-fit jeans.

"Happy birthday," she told him breathlessly, holding out a gift bag as she tried to catch her breath.

"For me?" Haechan sounded surprised, taking it gently from her hands. "Thank you, I'll open it in a bit."

She nodded, finally calming her breathing as they made their way to the carpark, hopping in his car as he drove off.

"Have you done anything special today? See family?" she asked, trying to make small talk.

"Nope." He gave her a quick glance, then focused on the road again. "Celebrating with you is the only special thing I'm doing today."

Hyerim was surprised. For a popular, sporty extrovert like Haechan, she would've expected him to have a bunch of friends and family throw him a huge, fancy party. "Not even with friends?"

"Nah. Don't feel like it." He pursed his lips. "Don't get me wrong, they're great, but sometimes I just need space from them. Plus, I like hanging out with you."

"What about your family? Why not celebrate with them?"

"Overseas," he answered simply, and Hyerim nodded, not wanting to overstep boundaries.

The drive was quiet, with some soft music playing on the speakers. When Haechan stopped the car, Hyerim recognised this as the spot that he took her to last time.

"We're here again," she noted, stepping out of the car. Haechan shut the door behind her, nodding as he headed to the trunk, pulling out something.

A cooler bag.

Hyerim's eyes widened as she realised what was going on. Helping him carry the pillows, they made their way through the trees to the clearing, and Hyerim gasped as she saw the setup.

He must've arrived earlier to do this. Fairy lights were strung from the trees, and a picnic blanket was in the middle of the clearing, some pillows and blankets placed meticulously on it. There was also a speaker sitting in the middle.