Chapter 9: Nora

The house is mostly silent, the only sound coming from Mel's room, which is down at the end of the hallway. I can hear her shower, meaning she's finally relaxing.

Daddy is at his office, working on an important case that he got his hands on. He seems enthusiastic about the results and the evidence he managed to collect. He doesn't tell me much about his cases, but when he does I listen to every word.

Since he wasn't going to be home all day, he gave Melony the day off. She grumbled and huffed, but decided to comply with his orders.

Although, everytime I enter the kitchen, she is sitting in her stool, itching to cook something. When I made us cheese sandwiches for lunch, she looked disappointed. I know she could've cooked something better, but she deserves the break.

My head dangles off the edge of my bed, my hair touching the floor. Boredom is overcoming me.

Brooklyn was busy today, having to do something with her little brothers. Felix was, too. Vicky was scouting ballet studios around her house, so I had no one to hang out with.

I would hang out with Mel, but apparently she's going out after her shower. I don't think she has even dated since she started working at home, so I have no idea who she's going out with. No matter how many times I tried, she didn't tell me who she was seeing.

Apparently, everyone had plans today except me. I am still dressed in pajamas and I haven't bothered with a shower. No one is going to smell me anyways.

The water stopped, quietness taking over. Groaning, I sit up, rubbing my eyes to see if some plans magically appear in front of me. Of course, nothing happens.

My laptop is on my bed, waiting for me to use it, but it doesn't sound enjoyable right now. Honestly, I am considering calling Lorenzo to see if he wants to do something.

I hate being in my house alone. Especially this new one where I don't know much about the people that live around. My mind always goes to someone breaking and entering. I should really stop watching crime shows, it's messing with my mind.

A knock is heard from my door, it opens slowly. Mel peaks her head in, smiling when she sees me. "I can stay if you don't want to be alone, Nono."

I frown, seeing as she is already dressed. She wears a cute sweater with some loose jeans, her hair in a slick-back bun. She wears some mascara, which is suspicious.

Shaking my head, I talk. "No way, Mel. Go have fun. I'll be fine on my own." I look at the clock on my wall. It is only three. "It's early anyways."

She lifts up her right eyebrow in question. "Are you sure? I really don't mind staying."

"If you don't leave in the next five minutes I will kick you out." I say in between laughs. "Go see your British boyfriend."

"I am most certainly not seeing my boyfriend." She argues, but her cheeks are red.

"Yeah, right."

She walks over to me and gives me a kiss on the forehead. "Call me if you need anything."

I nod and watch as she leaves. Her steps are heard from the stairs until the familiar clicking of the front door opening and closing cracks through the air.

With a sigh, I stand up and go downstairs, grabbing my phone from where it was charging. I aimlessly scroll through social media, liking pictures of my old friends.

They are living their best life at my old school, posting photos in the halls and libraries. Even some of my old teachers smile for the selfies.

My phone smacks the counter when I drop it and I stalk to the living room now. I grab the remote to turn on the TV, but someone knocks on the front door.