Chapter 10: Theo

Sometimes, my mouth races quicker than my mind and I speak without thinking. It happened a lot during my childhood, but I got it under control once Darcy was born. I refused to be a bad role model for her.

Even when I have my words under control, sometimes I slip up. Like today, when I couldn't stop taking jabs at Nora. I've got to stop, but my mouth keeps moving.

From outside of her front door, I could hear the soft sniffles that eventually turned into sobs. My chest ached at the thought of her crying because of me.

I stand outside her door, my hand almost knocking on it, but eventually I let it fall. If I were to try and comfort her, I would make it worse.

My feet carry me to my house, which is filled with the decadent smell of my mum's cooking. It smells so good it makes me dizzy.

Inside the kitchen, Enzo is sitting on the counter, stuffing a whole cookie into his mouth. Mum just gives him another one, not caring that crumbs are lining the floor.

She notices me and hands me a cookie. "Did Nora stay okay?" She asks because worrying is part of her nature.

I give her a single nod. "Yes."

"Good." She seems glad. "You know, Teddy. She's a very nice girl who would treat you right. Maybe you should take her on a date."

My face scrunches up, yet my cheeks heat. "Mum, I don't like Nora. Plus, she has an obvious crush on Felix Lambton."

Enzo makes a noise in the background. "Actually, no. She doesn't like him and he doesn't like her. He just flirts with everyone."

Mum smiles. "See?" She motions at Enzo. "You would be such a cute couple."

I shake my head. "No, mum. End of discussion."

She rolls her eyes and turns her back on me. Mum is always trying to set me up with girls because I've never had a girlfriend. Apparently, when she was young, she had a lot of boyfriends and it worries her that I've never brought a girl home.

Honestly, I've just never connected with a girl like that. Yes, I've fucked my fairshare, but I've never actually liked one.

Before I forget, I take out my phone and open Brooklyn's contact.

Theodore: I can hear Nora crying from my house. Shut her up, please.

Brooklyn: You are such a gent with the "shut her up". I'm on my way.

Satisfied with her response, I turn my attention back to Lorenzo, who I picked up to come over. He was home alone and I refused to let him throw another party.

He's staring at the wall, his face blank. I wave my hand in front of his face and he plasters a smile. I know it's fake, but I'm not going to say anything right now.

The distinct rev of a sports car distracts me from what I was going to say. Enzo's eyes widen and he rushes to the window to see what car could be making that noise.

I follow behind, wanting to see as well. I'm not a car enthusiast but people from around here have the most amazing vehicles that leave me speechless.

It took me a few seconds to recognize who was rushing towards Nora's door, but the buzzcut gave it all away. I want to look away, but I can't.

Brooklyn was the one who was supposed to comfort her, not Felix. He lives closer, though, so maybe she called him.

He knocks on the door, and a few seconds later Nora opens it. I can see her puffy face from the side. Her eyes are red and she's shaking.