10 Golden Mountain

Mariana

I stare blankly at a timid Isaac as he rubs his hand on the back of his neck. Did he just ask me out on a date? Isaac Pierce just asked me out on a date! Oh my God!

"I would love to," I notice my face heating up. Oh, who cares? I'm ready to show my pink face to the entire world if what he just asked me is real.

"Really?" His face lightens up. "You know I mean it as a date right?" He chuckles.

I nod my head abruptly. "Yes,"

"Okay then, cool. I'll uhh... I'll call you," He says, looking nervous.

Isaac is nervous around me and he just asked me out on a date. Is this a dream? God, please don't make this into a sick joke. I would never forgive it. However, I know Isaac would never do such a thing to me. He's too kind for his own good.

We stand still, smiling and staring at each other until the bell rings. Shit! I so got caught up in the moment, that I forgot about my English class. Miss Green is going to pick on me because of it. "I need to get to class now," I say and the beetroot-stained boy nods for me to go ahead. 

I walk away but my eyes meet the Ogres for a split second. He looks back at me blankly. No death stare or disgusted look. Just a look conveying that he doesn't care about my existence. Perfect! I need him off my ass and the sooner he loses interest in picking on me the better. I have important matters to worry about rather than his petty pranks. How to lock up Isaac Pierce is one of them now.

"Why are you late?" Miss Green scowls at me as I enter the class.

God, how evil can she be? I'm not the only one arriving now but she chooses to single me out as she always does. "Are you asking me alone or everyone that just arrived with me too?" I give her a blank stare.

By how red her face got, I know she did not take my words well. "Take a seat!" She huffs and turns to her computer. "Actually," She turns back around, "Hand out these papers," She gives me a pile of papers, "Close the window at the back and then come back to hand out these posters," She smiles innocently.

I take a deep breath and do as she asks. There's no point in arguing with her. I'll have to find another way to humiliate her. 'One way or another, I'll make sure to wipe that smirk off your face Miss Green. Just you wait.'
~~~

I get out of the school and feel how my phone buzzes in my jeans pocket. Gabriel. He said something about meeting up, but I didn't catch much of what he said. I was too busy trying to ignore the intense headache I had. I don't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. The pills are not working anymore. Maybe I should call Jimmy and Joseph. They'll probably know what to do.

Just as I'm about to pick up the call, someone peeps their horn and I look in the direction of the noise just to find Gabriel's head sticking out of a red sportscar. Lord, is everyone here rich?

"Were you just about to ignore my call?" He frowns at me as I get closer.

"Yes," I chuckle and he clicks his tongue. I get inside and put the seatbelt on. "Where we going?"

"Word?" He looks at me baffled. "I told you in class. We're going to my house,"

"Huh," I think back to the History class. He did bring up tutoring at some point. I really need to do something about my sleep. "Where do you live?"

"About twenty minutes away from your place,"

"I see,"

Gabriel looks at me as he turns his engine on. "You sure you're alright? You seem tense lately," He looks at me worried.