34 Inconvenience

10 months ago

The tall doctor with braids walked down the hospital hallway, a tray of food in her hands. She stood outside a blue door on the fifth floor, taking a few deep breaths before she finally gathered enough courage to get inside. Right next to the window, a frail young girl sat, her knees tucked to her chest as she gazed at the thick glassed window. She didn't bother looking back even after she heard the sound of the door opening and closing. The doctor looked at the girl with a pained stare but wiped it off quickly when the girl finally decided to gaze at the intruder in her room.

"Good morning, sweety. How did you sleep?" She put the tray down on a table nearby and inched closer to the girl.

"Good morning, Alba," The girl smiled half the smile she was being offered. "Better than before. Did you just clock in?"

"Mhm," Alba gazed out of the window as well. "Did you think about what I told you last time?" Silence. "I know you're a bit sceptical about the whole thing but trust me on this Riana, June is a sweet woman. If her not being your aunt is enough, then you should focus on what she can offer you. You've suffered enough darling. June is on her way now. She'll be here in a few hours and I know she just can't wait to meet you," More silence. "Oh, did I also mention," Alba grinned and whispered to her. "You have a sister,"

Mariana's entire demeanour changed at that. Her legs fell to the floor and she gave her full attention to Alba. "W-what?" She grinned. "Seriously? Like an actual sibling?"

Alba grinned back. "Yes, sweety. Her name is Rosemary. She's a wonderful girl. Cute and sharp and I'm sure the two of you will get along in no time. She's one year older than you and I know she'll be a good role model for you. A bit of time with her and you'll want to be just like her. I remember you telling me about wanting a sibling,"

"Yes, my friends are also my siblings but I've always wanted an older sister," Mariana sighed happily and shifted her eyes back to the window. "Is it cold outside?"

"Well, it is February," Alba chuckled. "I know you don't like the cold but you should go out for a walk now and then,"

"Can't I just go to the gym? I'm better now,"

"Nope, the gym is out of the question young lady," Alba gave her a firm look. "Maybe in a few months but for now start off small. Take walks and maybe jog from now or then. No heavy machinery for you,"

"Yes, ma'am," They stayed quiet for a bit. "What does Rosemary look like?" Alba smiled and took out her phone, showing a picture of Rosemary smiling near a lake. "Wow," Mariana looked at her closely. "She's so pretty. Are you sure she doesn't mind me staying with them? Maybe I'll be an inconvenience,"

"What? Don't even think about such things. If you only knew how excited she is about meeting you. She's always wanted a sibling as well. And now she has you," Alba hugged her sideways. "A cute, cheeky charismatic younger sister. Who wouldn't be happy to have you in their life?"

Mariana giggled as she hugged the kind woman back. "Thank you so much, Alba," Then she got stiff and moved away a bit. "Did you...uhm did you tell–"

"No sweety," Alba answered once she registered what the question might be. "It's up to you to share it with her. I had to tell your aunt though. She's an adult and she needs to know but don't worry, I only told her what's important. You can inform her of the rest once you're ready,"

"Thank you, Alba,"

Alba smiled sadly, the moment sending her back in time when there was someone else as fragile and shattered as the young girl next to her. She didn't say anything else. She simply motioned towards the food and left the room, letting the unstoppable tears spill the moment she closed the door behind her.