Chapter 4: The Loving Embrace Of The Cool Sky

We just found out that Cole killed their parents and that Wally is trans.

The sun slowly peeked out from behind the dense, gray clouds, casting a pale light over the once-frozen land. The chilly breeze bit at the tip of people's noses, but it was bearable. The owls, who had been calling out through the night, were now silently perched on their branches, resting peacefully. Wally opened his eyes and stretched his limbs before getting out of bed. He reached for his plain black t-shirt winter jacket, a sturdy piece of clothing that kept him warm during the harsh winters. He pulled on his favorite pair of cargo pants, which had plenty of pockets to store his belongings, Wally left his binder because he knew he wasn't going to be seeing anyone today. Wally grabbed his duffel bag and carefully placed his worn-out burgundy hoodie, a pair of black leather gloves, a small log of hickory, and his wood carving tools inside. He also added his pill bottle and a picnic blanket which had a beautiful embroidery of someone's signature on it.

Wally got out of his small cottage and started to wander around in the forest that surrounded his house. In the forest, he found two stumps with an old, worn-out axe next to them, one of the stumps had a slender base with slash marks near the top, it looked like someone was trying to cut it down but kept missing, while the other one had a sizable base and a cleanly flat top. Wally sat down on the larger stump and pulled out the pill bottle. He held it in his hand, contemplating whether he should do it or not. Wally sighed, opened the bottle, and took some of the pills, each pill was different like different pills from different bottles. After a few seconds, Wally once more dug into his bag pulled out his picnic blanket, and set it down on his lap. Wally pulled out the small hickory log and started to carve.

After a few hours, the sun was in its full glory, melting the thick layer of snow that covered the mossy ground but Wally was still there carving. So far he had carved some of the forests around him. But Wally seemed to be in a daze, his eyes were cloudy, he was slumped over the hickory log while swaying from side to side, and his grip on the chisel was becoming next to nothing. Wally tried to blink the effects of the pills away, but like a feather trying to resist the harsh winds he failed. Wally dropped the chisel and fell off the stump and into the moss with a wet thud His breathing was getting shallow and he started to cry while mumbling incoherent things about a woman named Martha and how he was sorry.

Meanwhile, Cole, They were hunched over the sofa cushion with a pale of water right beside them with a cleaning brush in hand. They were trying to remove the blood stains from the cushion but it had been there for a few to many years and was now impossible to remove.

"Damnit why won't you get out" They muttered to themselves. Cole called Lizzy and told her to bring down the ammonia from under the sink. She came running down with a large bottle without a cap filled with ammonia. She wasn't paying too close to her environment and tripped on the rug causing the ammonia to spill on it. She quickly picked the cup back up leaving a stain the size of a football on the once clean rug. Her head darted around the room making sure Cole didn't see what transpired, they were too focused on the sofa to notice. She walked over to them and extended the bottle towards them. Cole snatched it out of her hand and poured some into the pale before pushing the bottle into Lizzy causing it to splash onto her cheek. She started to cry and held onto her cheek.

"Oh stop crying it didn't hurt that bad, let me see" Cole guided her into the downstairs bathroom and sat her on the closed toilet seat. Cole grabbed her chin and forced her head up. They looked at her face and saw a slight blister start to form where the ammonia had splashed.

"Just don't touch it, it won't heal properly if you touch or pop it. Do you understand?" Lizzy quietly mutters yes. Cole let out an exasperated sigh and left Lizzy in the bathroom as they went back to the sofa to scrub out the blood.

After half an hour Cole had finally got the blood off the sofa and was exhausted. They went to sit in the dining room and collapsed on the chair, They threw their head back and tried to relax. Lizzy came down the stairs with Cole's phone in hand.

"Hey brother, I think I remember you saying that you had plans with your friend and I thought you might need this." She said holding out the phone while avoiding eye contact. Cole pinched the bridge of their nose and swiped their phone.

"I'm not your brother and worry about yourself," Cole said getting visibly angry. Lizzy seemed a bit upset by this but didn't voice it, instead, she went into her parent's room and laid down on the foot of the bed by her father's cold, dead feet.

Cole unlocked his phone and texted Wally."Hey u up?" Cole texted. They waited for around five minutes before deleting and resending the message but once again Wally didn't respond. Cole considered going over to his house but they didn't have Wally's address so Cole sat and waited for Wally to respond.

Mostly useless background info: Wally works as a freelance wood carver and Cole's older sister is a permanent resident in a different country which is why she most likely won't be introduced :)

A/N: this story will be mainly started in Google doc so I can work on the story more at home and at school ;3