Chapter 14 - You

-

I'm fucked.

Not because I for some unknown reason, developed what seems like a crush on Jaeger.

No, it's because Hange was right.

And the longer I think about that, the more I want to throw myself out a window.

Hange is the type to be right once in a blue moon and then never let you forget it. Which is why I made the decision to keep my feelings to myself. And for the past three days, I've been successful.

"Which one looks better?" Hange is asking me, holding up two beakers full of fluid. I glance between them, one is full of bubbling greenish liquid, the other full of purple-grey liquid. I hold my finger up to the purple one since it looks less radioactive.

Hange nods, "good choice." she sets down both beakers and snaps her glasses over her eyes. She grabs metal tongs and opens her lab window. She takes hold of the green beaker with the tongs and sticks it out the window. A second after she does so, the bubbling liquid starts rising and another second after that the beaker explodes, spraying glass everywhere.

Despite being such a small container, it makes a loud noise that echoes throughout the room. I move to the side quickly as a shard of glass narrowly misses my eye. "Jesus christ, Hange! The fuck was in that?" I shout.

"Oh, just a small miscalculation." Hange says as she sets down the tongs and scribbles something down on a piece of paper.

"Did you know it would do that?" I ask, frustrated from the faint ringing in my ears. Hange shakes her head and starts pouring more shit into another beaker. "No, if you had picked that one instead of the purple we probably would have been sliced up pretty good, not to mention the mess!" she chuckles.

I stare at her blankly. "I'm going to see what Petra's doing." I sigh, walking towards the door. I've had enough experiments for awhile.
"Alrighty! I'll come get you when I figure out to proper formula." Hange tells me without turning around from her work.

"That's alright." I tell her, flashing her a smile she can't see before turning down the hallway.

I find Petra out in the field in front of the castle, sparring with Oluo. "Hey guys." I wave as I walk over to them. Petra waves back at me with a smile, "Y/n! Good morning."

I nod in response. "What are you two working on?"

Petra moves back from her fighting stance, Oluo mimics her while giving me the stink eye. "Some basic hand to hand combat, nothing too hard." she tells me. "Actually we would love some pointers, I mean, if you wouldn't mind."

"Not at all." I smile. Oluo rolls his eyes, "we're actually good, thanks."
"Oluo, I get that you're sore about the other day but that was on you. You shouldn't have challenged her." Petra crosses her arms.

"I'm not sore!" Oluo argues.
"Sure." Petra smiles teasingly.
"Whatever, I'm leaving." he grumbles, stalking past me to go back inside.
"Oh come on, you could learn a lot if you just swallowed your ego!" I call after him. He flashes me a glare over his shoulder.

Petra sighs. "Sorry about him, he's not actually that much of an ass."
I scoff but don't make a remark.

"So what do you want to learn?" I ask, moving to stand a fair ways in front of her. She shrugs, "well, my upper body strength isn't the best, so maybe lower body attacks or moves involving momentum?"

I nod, "I got you."

"I'll show you some of my favourites." I tell her, shuffling one foot behind me and lifting my arms in front of my face. Petra copies my stance.