Chapter Three

Quinn's fingers anxiously tapped the wheel. She'd been driving for about two hours now, and the longer she drove, the more she was left alone with her own thoughts. She'd look out her rearview mirror occasionally, trying to spot if she recognised any cars that seemed to stick to her trail. Every car looked familiar though, so it was hard for her to notice any car following her.
Although she couldn't see any suspicious vehicles, she couldn't shake off the feeling that the guy was following her. It was only a gut feeling, so she couldn't prove anything, but she knew. She knew all too well.
No car ever seemed to be on her trail.
She was alone. With her thoughts, and paranoia.

☜☆☞

Quinn parked her car alongside the pavement. She sighed, took a few prepping breaths then exited the car.
When she knocked on the door her mother answered almost immediately. She wore that exact same smile Quinn had grown to love her entire life.
The mother and daughter duo embraced each other in a tight, warm hug.
"It's so good to see you," Judy said.
Quinn nuzzled her head into the crook of her mums neck.
"I could say the same thing. Should we head inside?"
Inside Quinn was met with her sister and brother-in-law sitting on the couch. They both stood up and gave the younger girl a welcoming hug.
"Look at you. Have you grown since the last time I've seen you?" Frannie said.
Quinn laughed and shook her head. "I think you're just shrinking," she replied.
The family sat down for a few hours, just talking and catching up. They rarely called or messaged each other nowadays because of work, and life. So there was a lot to catch up on.
Quinn learnt that her brother-in-law got a promotion, Frannie had quit her job and transferred to a much better company. She was sure to get a promotion soon. Quinn could feel it. And they told Quinn that she could hopefully expect to be an aunt late next year.
Quinn's mum had informed her family that she was planning on packing up and moving, which is part of the reason why she had them come over.
"Wow," Quinn said, taking it all in. "I'm seriously happy for all of you."
Quinn excluded to mention the guy at work who seemed to know her every move now. She didn't want to freak her family out.
During dinner, something seemed to catch Quinn's eye. Hanging on the wall behind the table was a large portrait of a field with a long, thin windy road, and the closer Quinn looked, there seemed to be some sort of smudge at the bottom of the hill. She couldn't make out what it was supposed to be.
The painting was very familiar though. She'd seen it before, Quinn just couldn't make out where she'd seen it.
"When'd you get this painting?" Quinn asks her mother.
Judy excitedly claps her hands and smiles. "A guy gave it to me for free a couple months back. It was very kind of him, really," she answered.
Quinn looked to her mum with a sense of uneasiness. "Some guy? What did he look like?"
Judy leaned back in her chair while she tried her best to picture the man.
Frannie and her husband didn't seem to understand why Quinn was so invested, so they kept to themselves.
It might have been better that way, anyway.
"He was well kept, that's all I can really remember. Most artists I meet aren't, you know. So that's the only detail I can really recall."
It didn't take long for Quinn to understand who this guy could be. But she tried to push it away, trying to tell herself that there are other well kept men out there, so maybe it wasn't who she thought it was?
It was an odd painting nonetheless.
"Did the guy seem angry with anyone? Or was he kind and seemed like nothing was wrong?' Quinn wondered.
"He was kind. He wouldn't of given the painting to me if he wasn't," Judy said.
Quinn just nodded, not knowing what else to say. What was there to say? 
When night came around, she was left alone in a bathroom with her sister while they got ready for bed. Judy had managed to persuade her children into spending the night so she could soak up more time with them.
The two sisters remained quiet while they brushed their teeth.
Frannie rinsed her mouth out then looked at Quinn through the mirror with an 'o' shaped mouth.
"Did you hear about Mr. Schue?" she asks.
Quinn cleans her mouth and looks to her side at Frannie. Both girls now leaning on the counter.
"No. What happened?" Quinn wondered.
"I heard he got arrested. Something about child pedophilia. I always knew there was something up with that man." Frannie disheartedly shakes her head.
"What?!" Quinn shouts. "Are you sure? I mean, how did you find out about this?"
"Facebook. A lot of parents were concerned for their children's safety, so they had an investigation done. You're lucky you graduated a few years ago, because not long after they found proof that he was grinding up against kids for some show choir thing."
Quinn was shocked to hear this. She looked to Mr. Schue like a father figure in her life. He was the only man who didn't ignore her health and needs... Okay, maybe he did sometimes, but that's besides the point.
"I'm gonna need some time to take all of that in," Quinn quietly said.
Frannie nodded understandably.
"Speaking of school. I'm glad you changed for the better."
Quinn tilted her head and narrowed her eyebrows. "Huh?"
"Remember how many calls mum got because you were given into trouble for bullying? I'm glad that changed. You're a much better person nowadays," Frannie reminded.
Quinn felt a wave of guilt hit her across the face. She'd forgotten how much of a bitch she was in school.
"I was just angry at myself, and everything that was going on at home.. I'm not saying that makes the situation any better, but that is my reasoning," Quinn said.
Frannie placed a hand on Quinn's shoulder and squeezed it. She had a gentle look in her eye.
"We all make mistakes in our lives. It's how we learn to grow."
While Quinn lay in the bed, she was left wide awake, staring up at the ceiling. She was left in thought about what Frannie had said. About her being a bully in school, and just like that, all of the memories started coming back.