Chapter Two

****

The cellphone buzzing on the table had jumped Dina out of her sleep- her hand flew to the table and tried to grab her phone.

"Hello?" Dina answered sleepily.

"Where have you been last night?" Her uncle immediately asked. Once Gustavo was home, he looked for his niece and couldn't find her.

Dina blinked the sleepiness away from her eyes several times before answering. "I think I just fell asleep in the studio. It's my bad."

"You're not going into work today." Even though Gustavo truly had a soft spot for his niece, he sometimes spoke to her rather formally and it took sometime for Dina to get used to.

"What? Why?"

"I don't think that I will be with you today, unfortunately, but I am sending over some of my men to accompany you."

"What's- what?"

"You're going to Don Eladio's again." It pained Gustavo to say it.

Dina sat upright and was now fully awake.

"He requested a...self-portrait. Don Eladio wants it done by you." Gustavo said. "He seems to be a new fan of your work."

"All right." Dina agreed. "Hey, you don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine."

———-

It has been several hours since she sat in the chair where Dina painted Don Eladio without even taking a break. Dina couldn't believe that the man could sit for so long in one spot without feeling agitated.

While she painted him, Don Eladio was telling her that he wanted to place his large self-portrait over the fire pit, where everyone could see it.

After completing the oil work, Dina ushered Don Eladio to see.

"I am truly lost for words." Don Eladio said as he gazed at the painting.

"I hope that's something good?" Dina asked nervously as she turned back to Gustavo's men who have been patiently watching the whole process. But Gustavo's men didn't even give a single reaction.

"Oh, sweetheart- it's magnificent!" Dina let out a breath that she didn't even know she was holding in.

Don Eladio turned to the painting and let out a boastful laugh. "You even made me look younger! Oh, how I like you!"

Dina let out a laugh as she turned to Gustavo's men, evidently, they could see how nervous she was.

Lucky for Dina, Don Eladio truly did love her work and because of that, he decided to take Dina on a little tour of his house.

After they were done, Dina said her goodbyes and wished in her heart that there weren't going to be anymore requests from the Don.

Stepping outside of Don Eladio's house, escorted by Gustavo's men, Dina was stunned to see Lalo Salamanca leaning against his car.

At the sight of her the man immediately perked up and flashed his signature smile. Walking towards her, Gustavo's men immediately placed their hands on their gun. Dina raised her hand, saying that it was unnecessary.

"Mr. Salamanca, it is good to see you." Dina began, making Lalo chuckle.

"Please. Call me Lalo." Lalo's eyes shifted to Dina's red painted lips and subconsciously licked his lips before locking eyes with her again. "I heard Don Eladio is a big fan of your work."

"Ah, yes. It seems to be that way." Dina chuckled, crossing her hands behind her back after Lalo shook her hand.

"Let me guess, he asked for his very own portrait."