F I V E

'Smiles are fake, unlike pain'

🖤

Mom?!

Ugh.

Turning to Jamal, I smiled, "So. See you. Tomorrow" he nodded and I didn't waste a second and left the car. On hearing his car screech away, I looked to the gate, it was locked. I smiled and slightly shook my head. "Mali!" I shouted the gate keeper's name.

Some shufflings later, he came out rubbing his eyes and yawning. On seeing me his eyes lit up. He opened the gate and I walked in. "Willow. How are you?" he asks placing his hands on both sides of his waist.

He was an old man, yeah, but a very interesting one infact. "I'm doing fine Mali. How are you? You look good" he smiles knowingly, "I just got these new boots, they look amazing don't they?" I nod.

His tight knee length soilder boot did look nice. The shining black armour complimented his uniform perfectly.

"I got to go but I'll see you later Mali" I wave him away already stalking down the street.

"Okay, bye Willow"

I looked at my phone, my smile completely dropping. Mom sent a text message, on opening it, it read, where are you? You're late!

Completely ignoring it, I smiled remembering who drove me here.

Finally getting home, I opened the door and I'm met with a very angry mom. Maybe if there was a word that could show the intensity of her feelings, I would have but for now angry would have to suffice.

"Where have you been? and why were you not answering my calls or texts?" she demands, getting up, and cornering me.

I completely forgot she was mad at me this morning. Gulping hard I avoid her eyes, the one thing that could break me before she does. "I had something to take care of. I'm sorry" I bow and she comes to a stop.

My mom wasn't mean or cruel, I believe just like Tim she had mental issues when it came to her anger.

So at times like this I only feel sorry for her rather than mad at her.

Eyeing me she walks away, but stopped abruptly, "I need you to go to the Bensons, and hand that. . ." she points to some huge nylon bag on the coffee table. ". . . To his wife" I nod, a lump growing in my throat blocking any words from coming out.

A few steps later,my cheeks were hot, my hair disheveled and my hand was now on my cheek.

She slapped me.

"You can't speak?" she asks rhetorically her eyes filled with anger.

My eyes began to hurt and my throat still had that huge lump, but I managed to draw out through the pain "I'm sorry,"

She hissed at my apology and moved to leave the living room. "I want it done now" with that she'd gone back to her room, gently slamming her room door.

I looked to the clock by the window, it was just four. Sighing I dragged my loopy body to my room.

On getting there my little sister caught me off guard by wrapping her tiny arms around my leg, tears welling up in her eyes.

I smile at her and pick her up. "Wen" I say kissing her cheek. "Wilwow your chweek is rwed" Wendy cried some more in my arms. I started chuckling as I moved us into my room. "Willow is red face remember?" I say poking my hurting cheek. With that Wendy's eyes lit up. "Wilwow is rwed face! "Clapping her hands she looked excited.

Red face was a cartoon she loved watching for some reason. It was about some undeveloped superhero rising up the ranks. Clearly his super power was his anger, whenever he was angry he'd turn red. Literally.

Anyway.

"Now will Wendy let Red face go"

She nods and I drop her on the ground,  "No more crying for Wen Wen okay?" I say and she nods, "Handshake?" I ask her to which she responds with a pearly white smile.

We do our special handshake, satisfied at that she  scampered away "Bye Wilwow".

Sighing, I moved to the bathroom and looked at my cheek, mom's hand written boldly there. Sighing again, I changed out of my uniform and went to Emma's room, she wasn't around and I couldn't be more grateful. I applied her mascara to cover up the swelling and the redness. Now content with the covering, I moved out of her room.

I couldn't help look at my brother's room as I walked out of hers; it was empty as per usual.

I enter Wendy's room and see her talking to her doll like it was a human, this alone made me smile, wide.

"Wilwow!" she shouted on noticing me.

Immediately shushing her so mom doesn't descend on me again, I whisper, "Wilwow, is red face remember" I say and her eyes go wide. Nodding she mimed zipping her lips. "Super mommy cannot see rwed face okay?" I tell her and she nods, with that we sneak out of the house as quiet as possible

Finally out on the lawn, we high fived, "Good job Wen Wen" I say smiling brightly. "Wen Wen and Wilwow!" Wendy shouts in excitement completely shocking me. In fear, I cover her mouth laughing lightly.

N U M B