Chapter 9 - Nathan (RATED M)

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter will contain attempted sexual assault. Read at your own risk.

*****

Just when Max finally found herself able to relax a little, thanks to this butterfly's company, the crudely formed mass of Jefferson waltzed back over to her, shoving Nathan aside, and squatting closely to her face, much too close.

He ran his tongue over his shark-like teeth like some cartoony animal as he leered her up and down. He then leaned closer until his lips were almost touching her ear. "You'll be my finest entry." He breathed.

Max clenched every fibre in her body to avoid cowering in front of him again. Enough was enough. She had to get out of there; she had managed to do it before, with her powers, in the real world.

Could she use her powers here in her mind?

She sucked in a breath and mustered enough courage to glare right back at her tormentor, her face tightening into a scowl.

"No." She spat.

"What?" Jefferson dropped his perverse grin. "Could you repeat that, please?"

Max charged up with another intake of air and bellowed this time. "No!"

Nathan flinched at her loud defiant reply.

"And why is that?" Jefferson inquired, an eyebrow raised in genuine curiosity. "Because of Rachel?"

Max sealed her lips to him and just kept her scowl fixed.

"Because you both share the same powers?" Jefferson laid a hand on one of her bare legs and drifted it up towards her thigh, but then relented when a theory popped into his head. "Speaking of which, you both look so much alike, in terms of size and appearance. If you two had met, one could have mistaken you for twins." Mark looked over to Nathan. "What do you think?"

Nathan's mouth was as shut as Max's.

"In fact..." Jefferson turned back to Max, now wide-eyed as his theory thickened. "What if it does run in the family? Have you ever thought of that?"

Max stiffened, and then shifted her gaze, new questions seeding in her head.

*****

While pacing along the sidewalk impatiently, away from others, Victoria felt a buzz in her pocket and pulled out her phone to check out what was up.

She saw that she had received a video from one of her friends, along with a message that read, 'WTF? Is this 4 real?'

Unnerving fear slithering up her spine, Victoria swiped her screen to unlock it to find her buffering video displaying a blurry but recognizable image. She could recognize the faded color and outlines of the floor inside the diner, and a barrage of people down on there, wearing the significant colours of pink, blue, and a glow of amber that filled most of the thumbnail.

When the video finished loading and she pressed play, she found herself watching footage of Rachel boring into Max's head, taken by that same idiot who got kicked out by Frank just moments ago. He cut out the last part before posting it.

Wait! That meant...

Another message popped up right then, which caused the blonde's nerves to spike. It read, 'It's all over FB right now! Evryone's talking abt it 8O'.

"Shit." That was all she could say. She looked cautiously over to Kate and Chloe, wondering if it would be a good idea to show them this. Taking a second glance at the stressed punk, she decided against it, though she knew Max's best friend was going to find out eventually.