Chapter 19 - What Are You Thinking?

Several hours since Max woke from her coma, the hospital building seemed to be pulling itself together in no time. Nurses were speed walking past the various rooms and offices as opposed to sprinting while the veteran doctors regained some sensibility that was lost previously.

Outside however, the brooding clouds had yet to clear, the weather still adamant on making a hassle for the Press, still skulking out front like vultures refusing to be scared off until they scavenged their meal, or at least got a lick of it.

All these reporters were much too eager to get their scoop on perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime miracle; there was no way they would let this opportunity slip.

Chloe looked down upon those flocks with contempt, knowing how badly they were waiting to get their chance to jab their all microphones down her best friend's throat and give her more to be stressed about.

Too tired to make a commentary about their bullshit, however, Chloe instead closed the blinds and drifted back to Max's bed where her parents were still pouring their hearts all over her and serenading her with their love and gratefulness.

"Are you sure you don't need anything else, dear?" Her mother asked, her hand over hers affectionately.

Max, sitting up on her pillow, nods indefinitely, her throat too sore to answer verbally.

"You had us worried to death." Her dad stated.

Max murmured while nodding, as if to try and say, "I know."

"We're kinda scared to leave you alone again."

"Don't worry, Ryan." Chloe butted in. "I won't bite her..." Yet. Chloe and Max shared knowing looks and then smirked.

Finally, Max cleared her throat to make a request. "I... need t—to... pee."

Immediately, Chloe angled around the bed while Ryan and Vanessa helped her off the bed onto her feet; her balance was wonky like before, but able nonetheless.

After Max had her leashed IV handed to her so that she could walk around with it, she gently pushed her parents away, wanting to help herself, even though her head was still a little feverish.

Fuck, I'm still aching all over! It hurts!

Max tried not to show the pain in front of her parents, but Chloe knew her better than anyone else, having witnessed firsthand the true horrors that her powers and psyche put her through. Instinctively, she took the girl's arm, insisting mutely to help her to the bathroom.

Chloe allowed Max to take as much time as she needed to as she shuffled across the mopped floor; she was like a granny making her baby steps.

When they made it to the doorway, Chloe prepared to leave her to her business when she was hooked back by one of her fingers. She turned back to find her glinting blue orbs pleading with her not to go.

Max was about to open her mouth, only to have a finger put over her lips; Chloe understood immediately and looked back to the other Caulfields behind them.

"Um, guys?" She started awkwardly. "Can Max and I have some one-on-one time, please?"

The parents looked at each other for a bit, slightly perplexed by her choice of words, but then nodded, much to her relief. "We'll just be outside." Her mother said, and so they left the room.

Chloe then brought Max inside the bathroom and locked the door behind them, sensing more of her reason for her company.

*****

Chloe had unconsciously slowed her flight, after hearing Rachel's warning to Max, weighed down by the fear of what she was going to tell them next.

"How fatal?"