Chapter 5

HANNAH

Saturday morning came around again, and that meant one thing—market day. Once again, I was not looking forward to going, but I'd already spent one Saturday living in fear of a possible confrontation that might not even come. I couldn't let that fear rule me forever. Even if I tried, I was pretty sure Liam wouldn't allow it—he knew what the community there and my friends meant to me. I knew that he'd be right there, by my side, no matter what happened today. I wouldn't have to do anything alone.

Breakfast was finished, and Liam had Emily while I finished getting ready to go. I stood in front of the mirror in my room, smoothing down the deep red, empire waist top I was wearing, critically checking myself over. There was no doubt about it—I was nervous.

Suddenly, Liam was there behind me, hands resting lightly on my hips. A quick glance in the mirror showed Emily playing with a doll on the floor beside my bed, and then my eyes met Liam's in our reflection.

"You look beautiful," he said tenderly, dropping a kiss to my shoulder as his fingers caressed my hips.

"Thank you, Liam." I smiled at him in the mirror, but I knew he could sense my insecurity. I didn't know why I felt the particular need to look good today—I already had the man of my dreams. I supposed I hoped it would boost my confidence level a little bit. So far, it wasn't working.

"In fact, you're lucky I'm willing to share you at all today. I could just hold you hostage here all day and have my way with you in every single room of this house." He dragged his teeth lightly over the pulse point in my neck and then soothed the area with his tongue.

I closed my eyes and let out a hum of pleasure, feeling heat pool in my core at both his words and his actions.

"Especially when you're wearing this," he continued, looking at me in the mirror again. His eyes were bright with desire as his fingers glided up and down my sides. "This top, in particular, has quite the hold over me."

I looked down at what I was wearing and then back up again at him, blushing and confused.

He turned me around in his arms and pulled me close. I slid my arms around his neck while I waited for him to elaborate.

"This is the top you wore a few weeks ago,when you came into my office at work and ripped me a new one for running andhiding from us."

"You remember what I wore that night?" I didn't think I could be more surprised.

He gave me a look that said he couldn't believe I'd ask such a question. "Hannah. You came in, all blazing hot and furious, with the wrath of God behind you. You were so glorious, I'll never forget it. I don't think I've ever, in my life, been so scared and so turned on at the same time."

I smiled shyly, blushing, and ducked my head at his words. I'd had no idea I'd had that effect on him that night. Or any night, really. Even now, I couldn't understand it.

He hooked his finger under my chin and raised it, forcing my eyes back to his. He smiled at me encouragingly. "We just need to get a little bit of that spark back today. Hit Nate with a healthy dose of righteous indignation if he tries anything."

"Easier said than done," I replied softly, lowering my eyes again. I didn't know why I was feeling so vulnerable, but I hated it. I wanted to be that sexy warrior he'd just described a few moments ago. I had no idea how to bring her out.

"Hey," he said and ducked his head, forcing himself into my line of sight once again. He gave me a reassuring smile. "I know you're nervous, but you've got this, Sunshine. I promise. And you're not alone. If Nate tries to give you trouble, he'll have to deal with me too. I'm not going to let him hurt you." He brought his hand up to my face and caressed my cheek, then drew me in for a soft kiss.