The Moonlight Jellies

It was the last day of summer, and the moonlight jellies would be out tonight. Glowing jellyfish that mysteriously appeared once a year on this day. Cosmo was so excited to see them once Shane explained to her what they were. She took her first hot bath before she got ready to go since Shane got the water heater working once the power was on. She quite enjoyed the warm water, not that she minded the cold.

Shane would appear at her doorstep as the moon began to rise. He seemed a little...off.

"Hey, Cos. You ready to go?" He asked her, forcing a smile. Cosmo looked a little concerned but still she'd give a small smile back and nodded. She began to walk with him as they started towards the beach.

"Is that the same dress you wore to the flower dance? I like it a lot." Shane would complement. "It looks good on you."

"Yes, it is! Thanks! I like it too." She agreed. As they walked, Cosmo kept catching Shane staring off into the sky. He looked distant. Like his mind was somewhere else. She didn't comment on it for now though.

It was dark by the time they got to the beach. Everyone was there in preparation. As they approached the boardwalk, Elliot would spot them. He had his long hair in a braid.

"Cosmo!" Elliot greeted her with a big smile. "I'm so glad you could make it!" He'd say happily. He'd then notice who she was with, and his face would soften a bit. "Oh...Shane, you made it too. You surprise me, hasn't it been- "

"Four years. Yeah, it's been four years." Shane recalled painfully the last time he went to see the moonlight jellies. "I was trying not to think about it, but thanks I guess." He rolled his eyes.

"My apologies...that was rather rude of me." Elliot's face reddened a bit with embarrassment. "Cosmo, how did your first summer in the valley treat you?" Elliot asked, changing the subject quickly.

"Oh, it was great! I grew lots of peppers and melons and even some blue berries!" Cosmo described. "I love growing things." She mused.

"Ah yes, I thank you for the blue berries you gave me last week. They were delicious." Elliot smiled at her. "Well, I'll let you two go find a spot to watch the jellies. We should grab another drink sometime, Cosmo!" He reached out to pat her on the arm.

"M-maybe...we will see." Cosmo half-agreed, not wanting to think about alcohol at all anymore. Not that she minded being around Elliot though.

Shane and Cosmo walked down the boardwalk to find a nice place to stand. Shane kept looking like something was wrong.

"So...you went out for a drink with Elliot?" Shane asked. His tone was non-accusatory, he just seemed like he was trying to get his mind off something.

"I did not really go out with him. I was already at the saloon, and he came and bought me a drink. We did a 'toast' and danced a little bit." Cosmo described. Shane tried to ignore the feeling of jealousy that brewed up inside him...He knew he didn't own Cosmo, they weren't together...but something about her dancing with someone else bothered him a bit. He'd have to consider the implications of this later.

"I see...Sounds like fun." Shane commented as they walked. "Here's a good spot." He smiled a little bit as they found an area somewhat away from where all the other people were standing.

"Will Jas and Marnie be joining us to watch the jellies?" Cosmo asked curiously looking back towards the shore to see if she could see them. "It is past Jas's bedtime is it not?"

"Yeah, they're coming, we're just finding a nice place to stand. Jas gets to stay up to see them. She comes every year." He explained. There was some pain in the way he said that.