Stardew Valley Fair

Fall had come around quicker than Cosmo expected. It felt like Summer was so short. She still was getting used to the seasons of this planet. The temperature was dropping day by day which Cosmo found exciting. She couldn't wait to see the snow Shane had described to her. When she exited her house wearing her new yellow shoes, she'd find that she had mail. Excitedly, she rushed over to the mailbox to open it. She'd find inside that she had gotten another letter from Mayor Lewis.

"Dear Cosmo... One week from today we are holding the Stardew Valley Fair in the town square! It's the biggest event of the year drawing people from all across the country to our humble town. If you'd like, you can set up a grange display for the event. Just bring up to nine items that best showcase your talents. You'll be judged on the quality and diversity of your display. The fair starts at 9 am... don't miss it!" 

Cosmo would bring the letter up to Shane who she trusted most of all in the valley. He'd really helped her acclimate to this place despite how rude he was when they first met. He'd flat out told her to go away the first time she tried to speak to him. But he'd warmed up to her and had since apologized for the way he acted back then. The two of them had grown even closer since he'd started therapy and stopped drinking.

"The fair isn't really as big of a deal as Lewis is making it out to be..." Shane would say later, rolling his eyes a little bit at the letter. He wasn't particularly fond of Lewis who seemed to hang around his aunt Marnie a little too much. Shane and Cosmo were sitting in the kitchen of Marnie's house. "A few people do come in from out of town, but there aren't that many things to do... I only really like it because me and Marnie get to show off our chickens. We set up a little fenced area for them and the cows so people can see them and pet them." He explained.

"I think that sounds exciting enough." Cosmo smiled. "What type of things should I bring for my display?" She asked him. Shane thought about it for a moment.

"I don't know... Just things you like, I guess. And you don't even have to bring nine whole items if you don't want to. Maybe some of your crops and any preserves or jelly you've made out of them. Eggs from your chickens will work as well... How are those little ladies anyway?" Shane inquired about the welfare of the chickens that Cosmo had bought from Marnie's ranch.

"They are doing good. I am feeding them and letting them out of the coop every day like you showed me." Cosmo assured him. Shane nodded, relieved. He was a little nervous about giving them to her at first as she had never looked after another living creature before, but she seemed to be doing alright.

"That's good. I'm glad they're in good hands." Shane smiled.

"I am going to go pick out my items for my display. I will see you later, Shane." Cosmo waved as she stood up from the kitchen table.

"Oh, you're going now?" Shane frowned, sounding a little disappointed.

"Yes, I am excited to get my display together. I want to win first place!" She said happily. Shane would smile a little at her enthusiasm and nodded.

"Alright then. I'll see you later." He waved goodbye as she left.

The day of the fair would soon arrive. Cosmo carried in a basket all the things she'd gathered for her display. She'd done as Shane suggested and got her favorite things together.

Everyone in town plus a few out of towners had gathered in the square. There were a few tents with games set up. There was a fishing game, a target shooting game, a smash meter test your strength game, as well as a green and orange spinning wheel.

Cosmo saw in the connected park there were large grills set up where Gus was cooking burgers.

Cosmo brought her basket up to the display area. She saw one filled with produce, one filled with fish, and another that had a large wheel of cheese in it. Cosmo frowned a little thinking she may have misunderstood the assignment a little bit.