Chapter Two

Chapter 2

Once Bella and Jacob had a debate that it would be better to die in fire or ice. Jake had said ice and Bella said fire. Bella was wrong, so wrong, the fire that burned inside of her made everything blurry. The pain was unbearable. It was like holding the wrong end of a curling iron, but thousand times worse. Pain was the only emotion. The only thing on her mind.

The pain was bewildering.

Exactly that-Bella was bewildered. She couldn't understand, couldn't make sense of what was happening. She always knew that Victoria wanted her revenge. But why on her? James death wasn't caused by her hands. It was confusion that suddenly filled her mind. Why did she deserve this? This wasn't her fault.

Edward. This was Edwards fault. He had promised her to protect her forever. He lied. Fucking vampire. And now she's turning into one of them.

-------

She woke first. Everything was so clear.

Sharp. Defined.

The brilliant light overhead was still blinding-bright, and yet she could see the exact rays of sun that leaked into the meadow. She could see each color of the rainbow in the white light, and, at the very edge of the spectrum, an eighth colour Bella had no name for.

The dust was so beautiful that she inhaled in shock; the air whistled down my throat, swirling the motes into a vortex. The action felt wrong. Bella considered, and realized the problem was that there was no relief tied to the action. She didn't need the air. Her lungs weren't waiting for it. They reacted indifferently to the influx.

She did not need the air, but Bella liked it. In it, she could taste the space around her-taste the lovely dust motes, the mix of the cool rain and flowers. Taste a lush whiff of silk. Taste a faint hint of something warm and desirable, something.... Dead. Her head turned In the darkness of the night. A few foot from her was a body that seemed dead to the world.

Chuck.

Oh Chuck. He had done nothing wrong. In fact he'd done everything right. He didn't deserve this. The revenge of Victoria Bella never thought would go to this extent. Even she didn't know the man, she knew that nobody deserved this fate. Death wasn't this, this was hell. To live forever.

To be a monster.

Bella decided to tell him the truth. Even she could barely face the reality of it all herself. The truth of vampires. The truth of Isabella Marie Swan.

She had always found him attractive. Maybe even more than Edward at times, even without the advantage of immortality. But in her waiting of his awakening she found him even more beautiful than before. Ethereal, inhumanly beautiful, even more so than the Cullen's.

She knew that her senses here enlighten, but she thought it to be odd to think that a vampire in transition could ever smell so tempting. When Chuck awoke, she could almost feel the confusion radiating from him.

"Bella..."

"Hi." She wanted to smack herself. He'd just been through hell and he'd just been a witness to a vampire and what does she say?

"What happened?" To explain everything from the start was hard for her, but in some way it was nice to let it all out, to cope with it. It was like popping a balloon of tension, she could almost feel the sadness pour out of her. Some of it was also replaced by anger.

To convince a person who'd been in peaceful bliss his entire life about the supernatural was indeed a challenge. But in the end Chuck believed her, his expression turned into one she couldn't read.