Chapter Twelve:Fight or Flight

Emmet stared in awe at the massive form swimming up the inlet. He wouldn't have even noticed it if not for the fact that it was pink. He let out a scream as the massive, monstrous form breached and hauled itself closer to shore. The Octans came running to defend their prince at the sound of his alarm, Lucy sprinting after them once she recognized the cause for it. "Stand down!" the pirate captain yelled, to little avail. Rex and Mayhem shoved their way to the front, swords drawn and ready for a fight. "I said stop!" Lucy shouted again, finally gaining their attention.

"Hi!" the giant pink creature chirped. "I'm Kitty! Benny sent me!"

"It's alright, she's a friend," Lucy sighed. "We were expecting her."

Rex huffed at the pirate. "A little warning would have been nice," he grumbled as he put his sword away.

"What are you?" Emmet asked, in awe now that he was no longer afraid.

"I'm a leviathan!" Kitty told him. "We're pretty close relatives of the merrow!"

"You do kinda look like a really big mermaid." The prince smiled at her. "I'm Emmet! I'm the prince of Octan! And these are my good friends May and Rex!"

"Emmet, are you sure that's a good idea?" Mayhem asked, giving him a concerned look.

"Oh, you don't have to worry about me! As long as you play nice, I'll play nice!" She gave them a cheerful smile. "I'm just here to make sure everything turns out okay for my friends."

"You mean like in the event they decide not to quit being pirates?" Rex drawled. "I think even you would have a heck of a time getting the Captains to stop."

"Benny did say your prince made him an offer."

"I don't think any of them are really bad people," Emmet said. "I just want to give them the chance that life didn't offer them."

"Aww, that's really sweet of you!" Kitty cooed. "I think I like you!"

"Oh, that's good!" Emmet sighed in relief.

"I think we should give her a chance," May said to Rex. "I'm not getting any bad feelings about her."

"If you insist..." The knight and the guard jumped as Emmet let out another squeal, giant hands cupping around him and lifting him so he was eye level with the leviathan. "Hey!" Rex barked. "You can't just go around grabbing people!"

"Oh, this is very high," Emmet whimpered, peeking past Kitty's thumb.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry!" Kitty gasped. "I really didn't mean to frighten you! I just thought it would be more comfortable to talk face to face rather than having me looming over everyone."

Emmet patted her palm in reassurance. "I'm not mad," he said. "I just wasn't expecting to be picked up so suddenly. Although maybe next time you could ask first?"

"I'll try to remember!" she vowed. Far below, Rex, Lucy, and Mayhem exchanged weary glances as the pair began to chat in earnest.

"Guess there's no separating them now," Rex sighed. "At least we settled that without any bloodshed."

"That's always a plus," Lucy agreed.