Chapter Twenty-Three: Run Free

"So you're really doing it?"

Benny turned to see Kitty poking her head out of the water, giving him a sad look. "Doing what?"

"Leaving the sea behind to go be a human."

He gave an eloquent snort. "Come on, Kitty, you know me better than that. Yeah it's a hell of an opportunity and I'd be insane to pass it up, but do you really think I won't come out here to see you and stir up trouble?" She grinned back at him, cheered up by his answer. "And it's not like you can't come visit me, now that I'll have a permanent home base." He sighed softly. "It'll be nice, actually having a place to call home, now."

She nodded. "I can understand that. And you really do have a lot going for you, here." She gave him a sly smirk. "I wonder, did a certain captain have anything to do with your decision?"

Benny's face reddened slightly. "Maybe?"

Kitty giggled. "You've got my blessing. He seems a decent sort. And you tell me if he ever does you wrong, I'll set him right!"

The merman laughed. "If Jonas doesn't beat you to it, anyway." He leaned over the railing and she rose up further out of the water to press her forehead to his. "Thanks, Kitty. You're the best."

She purred softly. "Good luck, Benny. You've earned this."

There  was much fanfare as they returned to Bricksport

There was much fanfare as they returned to Bricksport. News had traveled quickly that the war was ending almost as quickly as it had begun, and already the festivities were in full swing. Emmet had cheered up considerably upon seeing the decorations. As the prince turned wide eyes up at him, Cary sighed. "Take Rex or Mayhem with you," he relented, and Emmet cheered. It wasn't long before he was dragging May into the city to join the celebration.

"So what now?" Lucy asked as she stepped up beside the Octan captain. None of the pirates looked quite sure what they should do, if they were even allowed to join in as well.

Cary chuckled to himself. "I'd say you've all earned yourselves an invitation to the party. You don't have to stay here." He smirked when that got them moving. Lucy and Metalbeard held back, the younger of the two looking hesitant. "Is something wrong?"

"We wanted to be speakin' with ye about those pardons ye offered."

He turned his full attention to them. "We're listening."

"Ye and that king o' yers- ye really be serious about it? No tricks?"

"No tricks," Cary promised. "After all you've done to help us, it would be rather unfair of us to pull any underhanded tactics. So if you're saying that you want them, they're yours, no strings attached."

"And me family- they'd be welcome here?"

The siren was silent for a minute. "I won't lie to you. There are still those who are not... very fond of people like us, or May, or Lucy and Benny. But they are few and far between these days. I'm sure your family will have little problem finding welcoming people here."

Metalbeard smirked, brushing gentle fingers over the feather at his right temple. "Suppose it were foolish to think ye wouldn't pick up on certain details. But now, I trust that ye'd know. Many thanks, matey." He stumped away to explore the city, leaving them alone with Lucy. Cary gave her an expectant look.

"I've been a pirate all my life," she finally said after some thought. "I guess I just... don't know what to do with myself, now. How I'll 'earn my keep', so to speak."

"You know, the navy could always use resourceful captains like yourself, and your father," Alastar suggested. "You'd have to apply for citizenship first, of course, but I imagine that would be little trouble for you."

"And... Emmet? Would I get to see him again?"

Alastar smiled. "Oh, most definitely. I doubt he'd have it any other way." As Lucy chewed her lip, he added, "you know, Captain of the Octan Navy is a perfectly respectable title. It could make a lot of opportunities available to you."

She blushed, and frowned at him. "Don't think I don't see what it is you're trying to do."

"What, trying to give you a better chance to catch the prince?" he teased, laughing as she swatted at him with her hat. "He's quite fond of you too, so really I think you've got little to worry about."

"...Thank you. Both of you."

"You're welcome. Now go enjoy yourself." They watched as she hurried away, trying not to look too excited, then made their way toward the palace. Just because their job was done, didn't mean the king's was yet. He was likely swamped with paperwork, if his absence was anything to go by. "We should probably drag him out for a break, don't you think?"

I agree. Let's go find him.

They walked to Sirius' study, earning quite a few stares from the palace staff along the way, and let themselves in. The king glanced up at them over the rims of his glasses, ready to let whoever dared to interrupt him have it, until it registered just who his visitors were. He blinked, taking in the bandages wrapped about their chest, holding their wings in place. "So it wasn't just a dream..."

"Keelan?" Alastar guessed, and Sirius nodded, shoving himself out of his chair. He stopped just a couple paces away from them.

"You should definitely go see him next, he's been inconsolable... What happened?"

"Thomas," Cary spat. "Or at least his crew. They tried to blow Benny's head off with a cannon. We couldn't warn him, that bastard stole our voice..."

"So they blew your wings off instead." Sirius sighed.

"May thinks she might be able to restore them." At Sirius' hopeful look, he added, "though it will take some time. Maybe years." Sirius winced in sympathy.

"That's going to be a long time to go without flying..."

"We'll manage. We're alive, and we're home, and we intend to stay that way for a good long while."

"Good." Sirius took the invitation when Alastar opened his arms to him, stepping forward to thump his forehead against his best friends' chest, relaxing only when those arms closed around him again. "Don't ever scare us like that again."

"We don't plan to. Now come on, there's a party going on and you're missing it."