Chapter Nine: In the Wake

Benny laid wide awake in his bed, long after his roommate had fallen asleep, thoughts racing through his mind with no sign of slowing down. Emmet had passed out within seconds of stretching out in the hammock. Benny felt bad about that; he knew those cots in the brig were the most uncomfortable things in the world, the prince couldn't have been sleeping well all week, and then adding in the excitement of the night... It was a wonder Emmet hadn't passed out sooner.

But more than that, his mind was on Captain Callaghan. Well, one of them, anyway. He'd been blown away by the revelation that they were Janus twins- and even more blown away by the fact that Emmet had actually lied about that, the prince had such an air of earnesty and innocence about him, it was a difficult concept to wrap his head around. But obviously he had his reasons for it; there was a lot of superstition surrounding Janus twins, and optimistic though Emmet might be, he clearly knew better than to trust a bunch of pirates with such an important secret.

Even more than that, he never would have expected that the terrifying captain that hunted them so relentlessly had a soft side- and he wasn't even thinking about Alastar. To see how gentle Cary had been with Emmet, who was clearly still shaken by his near-death experience...

Benny shifted uncomfortably, rolling onto his side to stare at the wall. Even knowing Callaghan wasn't human, now, he could no longer think of the man as a monster. He had displayed far too many qualities that week that Benny found favorable (though also aggravating, while they were at odds). That voice was also hard to get out of his head, the strange song sung in such an alluring baritone playing over and over in his mind. And Goddess, but if he wasn't the most attractive man Benny had ever encountered... And those wings! He'd had to stop himself from reaching out and touching them so many times, he'd lost count. He wondered if they were as soft as they looked.

He scrubbed at his face, heaving an irritated sigh. He had to stop thinking about how much his type the captain was. Nothing would ever come of it. As soon as they got the ransom money and the mess with the Scalans was settled, they'd be right back at each other's throats. Callaghan probably wouldn't even give a second thought to dragging him to the gallows himself, if he ever managed to catch them. Best to nip this... infatuation in the bud before it blossomed into something that would really hurt.

Lucy  couldn't help continuously glancing over at the prince, watching in  (admittedly impressed) disbelief as he helped with the Sea Cow's  repairs

Lucy couldn't help continuously glancing over at the prince, watching in (admittedly impressed) disbelief as he helped with the Sea Cow's repairs. Even Rex and Mayhem and some of the Diligente's crew pitched in to help, in their captains' absence. Callaghan had left early in the morning, before anyone else was awake, opting to fly back to Octan after the prince's insistence on staying with the pirates.

Granted, Emmet wasn't able to do much of any real use other than haul tools and materials around for those who did know what they were doing, but the fact that he was at least trying was something in and of itself. She'd expected him to just... sit back and watch like the pampered palace brat she had originally thought him to be.