Chapter 20

_ . _

Chapter 20

"Now, why don't you enter first?"

Samael glanced at Hermes. Suspicion filled his eyes, yet at the same time, he felt like he could trust the man in front of him, even if it meant using him to his own advantage. If he's really a neutral god, then it would be a good decision to at least use him when necessary. People like him are simple. When you provide them with honesty, they take it all in and replace it with goodwill.

"Fine." Samael sighed and walked ahead of him.

His every step left a loud echo that reverberated throughout the entrance of the temple. There were no priestesses who would welcome them, not even olympus guards who were waiting outside. Instead, there are several animal statues placed outside.

At first glance, they looked like marble figures sculpted into the finest masterpieces. But if you look closely, you can see the animal statues' eyes moving, watching their every move closely, as if one wrong move and those frozen statues will rip them apart alive.

Hermes followed him from behind, maintaining the amused smile on his face. Samael halted in front of the door of the temple. He heaved a breath, lifted his hand, and was about to push the door open when a loud thud was heard, followed by the gigantic double door opening on its own.

"It looks like they already know we're here," Hermes said as he shrugged. Samael rolled his eyes and entered the temple quietly.

Samael wandered his eyes over the surroundings. The enormous temple was empty, yet it was clean and well managed. There are vines of flowers wrapped around every pillar, followed by tables and chairs adorned by bouquets of flowers arranged in a vase and a plate of fresh fruits. Samael knitted his brows into a frown as he looked at the surroundings. These.... As if they knew we're really coming here? Did those sisters take a peek into the future already? Or did they expect that there would be people who would seek them out in the near future?

"Welcome, dear guests." Samael paused and shifted his gaze to the voice of a woman coming from the small statue of a bunny standing stiff in front of them. "I see you've arrived a bit early. Hm. Is it because of you, Hermes?"

Hermes laughed, "What? Did you not expect my arrival, Atropos?" I see. It's Atropos.

Atropos is the oldest of the sisters who spin the threads of fate. Lachesis is the second-eldest, while Clotho is the youngest among the sisters. Among the three, Atropos is what I need to meet the most. She's the one who's likely to know what the future holds.

The bunny statue turned to Samael. The statue stared at him intently until Atropos finally spoke in a soft voice, "Thank you for coming all the way here, Samael."

"There's no need to be thankful," Samael replied as he lowered his head to pay respects.

"Hm, I see." The bunny hopped and started moving. "Come inside."

Samael and Hermes followed the bunny statue, and another gigantic double door automatically opened on its own. Samael and Hermes were greeted by several hanging golden threads as soon as they went inside the room. Those golden threads were radiating a glow, slightly flickering as if it were a lit candle portraying a life.

Among the threads scattered around the room, there are three women in the middle. One was leaning on a chair, spinning a wheel of thread. One was lying on the floor, measuring the threads and handing them over to another woman, who would cut the threads with a shear and let the flickering golden light coming from the threads scatter around the room.