Chapter 25

_ . _

Chapter 25

Entering the temple, Samael and the young king were greeted by exotic plants that had a strange mist of energy embedded in them. Circe glanced at them and spoke when she noticed that they were looking strangely at the plants. "I was honing my witchcraft. Plants were a good experimental subject because they respond well to my magic."

Samael sighed. "This is why Zeus exiled you to this island. You always do strange and eerie things."

Circe raised her brows and knitted her brows into a frown. "Tch. That foolish man is nothing but a coward who tells himself that he's the greatest in Olympus. Whenever he meets someone stronger than him, he eliminates their existence to maintain his standing."

"......"

Circe slid her hands to caress the plants as she continued to speak while they walked, "The Gods of Olympus only care about themselves. They didn't even know how sirens and aquatic animals may die by the day. If not for my necromancy, their bodies would be gradually rotting on the soil of Gaia."

Samael wandered his eyes on the temple and spoke, "Is this temple made by their remains? From when we last met, you were residing inside a cave."

Aretha nodded and answered his questions on Circe's stead, "Yes, that's right. There were bodies scattered in this island that were beyond saving. Though Goddess Circe is the most powerful enchantress here in Olympus, her magic also has a limit. Instead, Goddess Circe spoke to the fragments of their soul, and they offered their bones to her in order to create a temple. The deceased pitied Goddess because she's always confined in a lonesome cave with me."

"This is better than being infatuated with Glaucus," Circe replied.

"Why are you mentioning that foolish fisherman, Goddess? You must forget about his existence!" Aretha exclaimed with her eyes mixed with anger and concern.

"I have long forgotten him," Circe said with a small smile. "He's nothing but a distant memory of mine."

To Samael, it was the third time he heard Glaucus' name being mentioned by Circe. Long ago, when he was under Poseidon, Aretha mentioned that the beings that were revived by Circe hold a part of her memory, meaning that the goddess and the beings she revived share some part of her memory. The bigger the connection, the bigger the part. He once heard from Aretha, when she was raging and ranting at the cave, that Glaucus was a mortal fisherman whose boat stumbled upon the Ayaia island, saying he was lost, and that he was the one who became infatuated with Circe. However, that same man fell in love with someone else and left Circe alone on the island, making him immortal with a magical flower she created from her magic.

Circe was once the daughter of Helios, the god of the sun, and an oceanid nymph named Perse. She had three siblings from her father, and they all lived under his temple when they were children. Among the four, Helios mostly paid attention to Circe, as she inherited her mother's long and curly hair, but the color was that of a fire like him. Circe didn't have any powers as a child, and she was often compared to her siblings. Despite that, she was under Helios' protection, and despite her powerlessness, she thought that she was the most loved out of all the siblings.

But that thought didn't last long when Circe came of age and discovered her powers. It was unlike the abilities that her siblings inherited from her mother and father. Because of that, her magical ability made people call her a witch and a monster. She then realized that Helios only pitied her because of her situation and made her stand by his side when she was a child. She discovered from one of her siblings that Helios planned to marry her off after she came of age, but it was postponed because of the discovery of her powers.