Jack Barakat - Best Friends or Something More?

"Rian, I'm home!" I shouted, closing the front door of my house. I shared it with Alex and Rian, my best friends from school.

"I'm in the kitchen." He called back through a mouthful of food. I kicked my shoes off and trudged through to the kitchen, collapsing on a chair. "How was work?" He asked, smirking as I looked at him blankly.

"Shit." I huffed. "It always is." I worked in a horrible restaurant with terrible pay and disgusting food. 

"It'll get better, it always does." Rian smiled, handing me an apple. "You've just got to wait for something else to come up."

"You know how impatient I am though! I won't be able to survive another day working at that place."

"I'll have a look round for you, okay?" I nodded and smiled, taking a bite of my apple.

"What time is Alex back?" I asked.

"A half hour ago." Rian laughed, checking his phone. "Him and Jack should be back any minute now." I sighed, leaning back in my seat. "Don't be mean, you used to be best friends with him!"

"Yeah, in high school!" I protested. "Jack and I were friends since we were like, three years old but he didn't grow up and I did. He's exactly the same as he was in tenth grade!"

"Who is?" Alex asked, walking into the kitchen with Jack in tow.

"No one," I mumbled. I still loved Jack, but he was too immature. He was twenty four years old, and he still acted like a kid. I tried to protest when Alex took my apple away and started eating it himself but knew I was never getting it back so just picked up another one. "What time is Lisa getting here?" I asked.

"About half eight, I think. You can watch the film with us if you like?" Alex offered. 

I scoffed, "And be the third wheel? Thanks, but no thanks. I can't believe you two, both of you leaving me for your girlfriends! What am I supposed to do tonight?" I asked. I was only joking, but my question was serious. It sucked being single, especially since the people I saw every day were so loved up.

"You're free, aren't you Jack? You two could do something together." I shot a look at Rian and looked worriedly at Jack. No one said anything for a moment, and Jack sighed, turning around.

"It doesn't matter, you've probably got something more important to do than wast your time on me." Jack muttered, heading for the living room. I sighed and turned to Rian and saw he looked kind of guilty.

"Why do you never spend time with him anymore?" Alex asked. "Ever since I've known you both you've been inseperable. Over the past few years you've drifted apart, it's hurting Jack. He misses you."

"I know, it's just-" I paused, trying to find the right words. "He's immature. I know we all can be, but he hasn't seemed to grow out of it."

"So you're embarrased?" Rian asked.

"No, I've never been embarrased by him, I just don't want to get pissed off with him when he's being himself and then upset him." I sighed, trying to explain myself better. "I get pissed off at work so when I finally get home I'm on my last legs. You know how annoyed I get with people being immature all the time. I don't want to shout at Jack just because I can't handle it."

"Why don't you just talk to him?" Alex asked, sitting down next to me.

"He's never serious around me, ever. I don't know how I could possibly have a serious conversation with him."

"He's serious around us all the time," Alex said, looking at Rian who nodded in agreement. "Like, he's not always this hyper guy that acts like a kid."