The Cage Closes in

Ayanokoji pov

We returned to campus the next day, murmurs buzzing through the bus as students chatted about the surprisingly swift conclusion of the exam. How had it ended so early? It was the topic of the hour. An hour later, we arrived back at school, and I welcomed the chance to finally rest in my dorm after what felt like an eternity.

Eager to unwind and satisfy my growling stomach, I made my way to the kitchen. The familiar clinks of pots and pans greeted me as I gathered the ingredients for one of my favorite comfort meals – Pork Belly Ramen. Its simplicity and exquisite taste made it my go-to choice. With noodles I had prepared a few days prior, I set to work.

The aroma of sizzling pork belly soon filled the air, a delightful reminder that good food was often the best remedy after a hectic day. In the cozy confines of my dorm's kitchen, I focused on the art of cooking, finding solace in the rhythmic sounds of chopping and the gentle simmering of the broth. With each step, I felt the stress of the day dissipate, replaced by the anticipation of a delicious meal.

The dorm kitchen, once merely a functional space, now transformed into my sanctuary. The savory scent of the broth mingled with the richness of the pork, creating a symphony of flavors. As I plated the steaming Ramen, crowned with crispy pork belly and garnished with soft-boiled eggs, I couldn't help but feel a sense of accomplishment. It wasn't just a meal; it was a ritual, a reminder that even on hectic days, a moment of culinary joy could be found in the simplest of recipes. With a satisfied sigh, I sat down to enjoy the fruits of my labor, relishing each spoonful of the steaming, flavorful Pork Belly Ramen.

After savoring my meal, I decided to head to Keyaki Mall. On my way, I noticed a sharp glare from an unfamiliar person. Turning around, I found Horikita from Class D, her eyes fixed on me with intensity.

"Can I help you, Horikita?" I inquired, unfazed by her glare.

She shot back, accusatory. "What did you do to the contract? I know you changed it. How did you do that, and why our class? We have no points to give you, and we probably never will. Why make it even harder for us to live? What was your goal?"

Her words, laced with frustration, only made me chuckle. Her use of "us" was amusing, considering her self-centered nature.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Besides, you don't care about your class. You only care about yourself. You probably gave up on the class competition. Good luck with that. You're too naive to figure out a way to win, anyway." I left, ignoring her protests, and continued toward Keyaki Mall.

As usual, the mall bustled with students exploring various stores. My goal was to find some new clothing to add a splash of color to my rather bland wardrobe. With the assistance of my friend, Color Theory, I picked out 21 coordinated pieces that could create nearly 33 different outfits. I had them delivered to my dorm to avoid drawing attention to my spending.

Back in my room, I neatly stowed away my new acquisitions, recycling the bags. Before bedtime, I decided to tire myself with a midnight run. As I jogged, I encountered an unexpected visitor.

"Oh, Ayanokoji, have you come to bask in my perfection?" Koenji, as irritating as ever, greeted me.

I shook my head. "No, I was just going for a run. But what do you think about switching classes?"

His eyes lit up at the suggestion. "Why the sudden change of heart? Weren't you the one who rejected me before? Have you finally realized my greatness?"

I sighed in annoyance. "You can stay in Class D. But if you continue acting like this, I might cut off your salary. Your self-importance is truly immature."