Chapter 1: George Chambers

October 1st, 1989.

George's Pov.

As I woke up, I moved about a little in my bed. I twisted and turned, pushing my face farther into the pillow and pulling the blankets up over my entire body as I battled to open my eyes. I felt my eyes tremble and shake.

I recall that I used to feel energized and effortlessly woke up when I was in elementary and middle school. I find it a little challenging to get out of bed these days because I'm older. I like to sleep in on the weekends and don't usually get out of bed until 10 AM, 11 AM, or 12 PM. My desire to leave my bed seemed to be nonexistent. I suppose you could simply call me lazy.

In any case, things have improved now that I am much older. My first day of elementary school stands out in my memory. I recall that I started crying and sobbing when my parents informed me I had to go. However, as time went on, I began to accept the fact that I had to attend school even though I hated it. While my parents never cared to ask about how I was doing academically, it wasn't as awful as it could have been as I moved because I hardly put any effort into my work and rarely had decent scores. Now how old am I? Well, I'm 18 now, in high school, and even better, I'm in the 12th grade right now.

The fact that October had just begun was the highlight of my senior year of high school, even though I knew I would need to find employment once I graduated. Even myself and my pals at school were aware of what this signified. When a holiday approaches, the school always drops like a holiday-themed dance.

In the ninth, tenth, and eleventh grades, I and my buddies went but I don't believe we'll attend this year. Why not? To celebrate the fact that we would graduate from the 12th grade and quit attending school, my friend Franklin Wade was throwing a Halloween-themed party. 

For Christmas, we were going to do the same thing, but that should probably wait. Even after saying all of this, I didn't move one inch from my bed, but I was aware that I needed to get out of it soon. Why? Considering that it is a school week and I still have to go to school.

"George!" From the hallway, I could hear my mother calling out to me. Instead of responding, I resisted the temptation to do so and instead closed my eyes and sucked in my lips. Even though I adored my mother and didn't detest her in the least, there were moments when she called for me to get up, particularly for school, that made me a bit irritated. Simply put, it was frustrating.

I got out of bed against my will when I heard her footsteps getting closer to my door. What more was left for me to do, anyway? I couldn't just pretend to be sick to get out of going to school, so I had to go. Well, I'll be honest, I did give that a shot once, and it did work, but when I did it again, my parents realized what was going on. It's safe to say that I got off easy by just getting a lecture and a grounding. Even though I didn't learn anything, I haven't done it since.

I pulled off my covers and sat on the edge of the bed, staring hazily into the void. My mother, Patricia Chambers, twisted the doorknob on my door and walked in.

"Georgie, are you all set for school? Oh my God, you're still in your pajamas! You're still not even completely dressed! You smell as though you haven't taken a shower in a long time, Christ!" She frequently referred to me as "Georgie" because she believed it would be "cute" to call me by that name. I do not doubt that she learned it from that stupid nursery rhyme. "Hurry up and get started! You need to get to school right away." I still loved her even though she bossed me about.

"Yes, good morning to you as well, Mom." When I started this, she scrunched up her face, perhaps thinking I was being funny, but she eventually dropped it and gave me a sweet smile instead. She greeted me, saying, "Good morning to you too, baby."