Chapter 2: Chin-Deep In Mud

George's Pov.

Since sometimes we were ambushed by bullies on the way to school—and not just by any bullies, but by the ones that have been tormenting us forever—Milo and I continued our trek to 1273 Rockefeller High with Milo right alongside me. As I stated, our bond is based on the fact that I'm like his older brother and he's like my younger brother—ironically, considering I was the third tallest in our circle of friends while he was the shortest.

"So, you coming to the Halloween party?" As he walks next to me and shoves his hands deep into his pockets, Milo asks, casting a glance at me out of the corner of his eye. "Yeah, of course, I am, I mean, why wouldn't I?" I laughed carelessly.

"Did you tell your parents about it?" Milo asks me while slightly stooping forward and turning his head in my general direction. He asked me a dumb question, and I laughed because I never told my parents about the party and never planned to. Why wouldn't I inform my parents of my intended plans? They'll set a time for me to return home and a bunch of other regulations, most of which I won't even obey. Although I do love and respect my parents, I have no intention of spending my senior year of high school living by the book. Who wants to sit through a dull 12th-grade year with rules getting in the way? Naturally not me.

"You didn't, did you?" Milo asks, giving me an expression that is both blank and nearly dead, showing that he is unsurprised that I never told them. Milo must have told his family about the party because that is why he would be asking me, but I just shrugged off his question and kept moving forward, grinning smugly. "I didn't. Why should I? My mother, in particular, is always going to put down some stupid limitations about me being at home early, as you are well aware of. I genuinely do love her, but now and then she needs to take a break. Besides, our parents don't have much space to speak. They must have been more nutty then." With a smile, I said.

We took our sweet time walking to 1273 Rockefeller High, but as we got there, we noticed that other students were doing the same thing. Some of them were even running toward the school, obviously trying to get there as quickly as possible for the best seats in the class (which were typically the seats in the very back of the room, right up against the back wall) or to avoid getting sent to after-school detention. Other students were also being driven there by their parents or the school bus.

Because of the proximity of my home to 1273 Rockefeller High, I never did have after-school detention; nevertheless, if I had lived so far away from the school, I'm sure I would have started running like a wild bat out of hell, much like the other students who were frantically sprinting by us desperately.

I observed that as we neared, more and more students began to show up. Milo and I always understood that as a sign that we started to get close. "Finally, we're here," I spoke in such a drained tone. I had always done it anytime we were close to the school, and I don't think I'll stop till we receive our diplomas.

"Dammit, George, cut that shit out," Milo said, giving my shoulder a little punch. "Ow! That hurts so much!" I whimpered in a mocking voice that said, "I'm in so much pain."

It didn't hurt at all. Milo was so small that his blows barely hurt, so I didn't want to belittle his strength. Like I said before, I always had to defend him against bullies; I didn't mind, though; I was cool with it. He also needed to be protected from fights because he couldn't fight for his life.

We continued walking till we reached the entrance to 1273 Rockefeller High. The yard was nearly filled with kids, a wide range of them; it resembled something of a menagerie, but with humans instead of animals, and they were running around like, well, a menagerie. Some were already of driving age and had their cars, most of whom were, of course, the cool kids, the popular kids, and the sports team, or at least the majority of them.