Chapter 2 - Ask Kokkuri-san

Footsteps. A light, dull, empty beat resounded through the halls and reverberated in their core.

           No one dared to stir, their hearts on edge as the shadows on the wall continued to dance in an ocean of sapphire. They twisted, transformed, merged, sharpened, and blurred. Pointed horns showed through the rippling figure before the footsteps ceased and the light from the door pooled. The flood of light slowly poured in, drenching the seven figures in a sea of blinding ivory, like the rapid approach of a horned 'corpse whale'—merely an easygoing narwhal with the eerie complexion of a drowned sailor.

           "Apologies for the interruption," Daisy murmured politely, her disposition unwavering despite the sight of their predicament. The ceiling lights illuminated her figure like a spotlight, casting light rays onto the snowy strands of her hair, giving her the look of an angel, wings outstretched in the flocculent clouds. Milly scoffed when Jake congealed, a deer caught in headlights—or rather, a goldfinch mesmerized by the grace of a swan.

           Here she was, the school idol before their eyes, a goddess with talents cultivated to perfection and who amassed an army of obsessive followers. Though, it soon became clear her enrapturing performance was what they worshiped. They were obsessed with the cygnet's grace and glistening feathers, uncaring of her plight or the depths of the frigid water obscured by the reflective ice on which she dances.

           "Uh, h-hello Daisy," Jake stammered, waking from the trance. Reacting, Milly's lips pursed, thoroughly unamused. Hailey met her gaze and shook her head, mouthing the words 'boys will be boys.' "Is there something you need?" Jake finally managed.

           "I came to return a spare microphone. Apologies, am I disrupting?" Daisy inquired expectantly, inducing a warm sunny feeling to descend into the Music Room, the once gelid seawater simmered in the warm of the sun's rays. All around, the players exhaled, glad that the tension finally dispersed.

           "We were just getting started," Elliot reassured, "If you'd like, you're welcome to join." His dialogue was now simplistic and concise, effectively expressing his unbiased offer. Only appraising momentarily, Daisy smiled and accepted, seated next to an astonished Sean. At this, Jake's glare sharpened to directed feathered daggers, an earnest attack from the bijou goldfinch. Now, with all places filled, Daisy took the role of being the kingdom's prized beauty of countless talents. Good-mannered, gracious, kind, she was everything nice stirred together like royal tea. Yet, to those contempt figures around her, she was just gifted a pretty face, her ticket for anything. How wrong they were, overlooking the fire in her distraught heart.

           "I'm Elliot, it's a pleasure to meet all of you," he introduced and explained the rules with posthaste, wearing a mischievous grin.

           "Hello, Elliot!" Daisy responded politely to his proper introduction. "You're the leader of the Gardening Club, I believe? The flora are absolutely wonderful!" Elliot dipped his head, looking marginally bashful. Daisy gestured to Hailey with open palms, beckoning for her next.

           "My name's Hailey, I'm the president of the Music Club. You already know Jake, he's now the proud lead singer of the Music Club," Hailey introduced herself along with Jake. He sighed with resignation, his chance for dialogue stolen, but he didn't demur.

           "I'm Milly, otherwise known as the Pink-Haired Devil! I play the electric guitar," Milly smiled, showing her canine fangs as she raised both hands, one higher than the other, posing as half-curled feline claws, and smirked, "I don't bite."

           "Zander. I'm the pianist of the club," the purple-haired boy introduced with no hint of any emotion besides his usual scowl, reminding Elliot of the fearsome and spiteful Jiang Cheng from the Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, a Chinese donghua.