Chapter Two

Maggie smiled to herself as she swept the floor. She liked leaving those light and dark lines on the storefront rugs with the vacuum. She had already accomplished everything on her to do list. All that was left was waiting to close the doors so she could head to the back and start her late night shift of restocking the shelves.

The small town grocery store got more business than most. But that was because the closest big name store was a good half hour drive away. And since none of her co-workers wanted to work the late night shifts, she often took them. The plus side was she was able to avoid… him more with this particular schedule. He worked during the day and slept at night so if she worked at night and slept during the day then she didn't have to see him.

Her phone beeped with an alarm and she moved around to the doors to lock them. Then she turned off the registers, put the cash from the drawers in the safe and moved to the back room. Maggie worked diligently through the night as she restocked and reorganized the shelves. It was busy work, but that's what she needed.

It was over sooner than she wanted. Night time came and went. As the sun began to rise, her phone beeped with an alarm again and she put the last of her items away. After clocking out she drove home and groaned as she sat in the driveway.

What is he doing home still?

As if she summoned him, he stepped out of the house and immediately spotted her in her car. He curled a finger at her, silently demanding she come to him.

She moved quickly, not daring to make him wait. They met half way on the other side of the driveway. She stood as he unlocked his sports car, a car far nicer than the one he gave to her to drive.

He said nothing as he set his travel mug inside of his car and then rose to his full height. He stared down at her for a moment, still not saying anything. It was part of his game. Being silent made her nervous. He knew that. When he finally spoke she cringed back at his soft cruel tone.

"I'm running late this morning. Do you know why?"

She didn't answer.

He sighed and adjusted the color of his crisp white shirt. "I couldn't find any of my socks. Would you care to tell me why I don't have any clean socks in my dresser? Why did I have to dig in a fucking laundry basket to find a pair of fucking socks?"

Maggie glanced up at him and immediately looked away. "I'm sorry, I haven't had the chance to fold the laun- -"

SMACK!

She stumbled back and landed on her butt. Hot searing pain stung her cheek and a dull throbbing started in her rear. Concrete was so unforgiving, even if you had a cushy behind to land on. Tears stung at her eyes as she focused on a spot on the ground.

"I am so fucking sick of your excuses," he sneered.

Then, without another word, he slid into his car and backed out of the driveway. She sniffled, looking around to make sure no one had witnessed the incident and pushed herself to her feet.

Of course no one had seen. They didn't have any close neighbors. And even if they did, who cares about her anyways?

Maggie made her way inside and headed straight for the shower. Another good thing about their opposing work shifts was that they decided it would be easier for them to sleep in separate rooms so one wouldn't disturb the other. Only on the rare and dreaded occasion would he force her to sleep in his bed.

She went through the mechanical motions of a shower and dressing for bed. Refusing to look at her reflection for fear of seeing her new mark. No, the best thing to do was to go straight to bed and sleep it off.