Epilogue: Like Real People Do

Warnings: probably very inaccurate court proceedings, swearing, mentions of scars, Bear being a badass, sort of victim blaming (not really, but maybe), soft and sweet, author makes up for being an asshole for most of the series

A year later, 365 days after the catastrophe that had been Operation Hellfire, the five Seals involved in the treasonous attack against Bear had gone to trial and the verdict was due any minute. Former Lieutenants Colton 'Hazard' Richards, Michael 'Dex' Lewis, Jackson 'Dodger' Cartwright, Andrew 'Gallows' Stevenson, and Grant 'Chip' Harding all stood trial together, four of the five pleading not guilty to the charges leveled against them.

Only Chip had cut a deal with the prosecution. He chose to testify against Hazard and the others and in exchange, he was dealt a sentence of five years at Leavenworth with a chance at parole for his minimal part in the terrorist plot hatched by the other men. He had also leveled charges of blackmail and assault against Hazard, the court finding the latter guilty on both counts.

Several other members of Bear's team and a few of the Dagger Squadron had also testified as witnesses for the prosecution; each sharing their experiences with what the media were now calling the 'Team 3 Traitors'.

Bear's own testimony had lasted a few days as she shared her story to the grand jury, detailing her account of what had been done to her as a result of Hazard's plotting. She repeatedly denied and denounced any attempt made by the defense to try and undermine her, standing strong on the witness stand as lawyers tried to discredit her. She hardly remembered those days, but the media did.

A quote of hers, "With all due respect, Mr. Harmen, I believe I know what happened to me far more vividly than your files detailed. You do not get to try for 'reasonable doubt' when I will wear the scars of my torture for the rest of my life," had gone viral. She hadn't gone searching but apparently Jake's sister had started sending TikTok edits of the trial to him and a few had made her laugh way harder than she should have. Leave it to the observer to ridicule the men who tried and failed to take her down.

What the media and those TikToks hadn't seen however, was the way her hands shook on her lap with every word she spoke. No one saw the fear in her eyes as she sat across from the men who had orchestrated this plot against both her and the US Navy as an institution, and how could they? Bear had stuffed it deep down where it couldn't be seen, but there were moments where Jake had seen it.

Moments where her voice shook.

But in the weeks this case had been in court, Bear had sat diligently behind the prosecution in her dress blues, her medals proudly on display. Among them, her Purple Heart that had been presented to her not days before the trial. She looked the very picture of a war hero. She had refused to cower, her hand held tightly by Jake's own. He too, had testified, detailing his own experiences and his involvement in rooting out the traitors among those on the mission.

Today though, today was different. Bear knew that Flare, like Chip, had brought down charges of stalking, blackmail, as well as assault and battery against Hazard before this trial had begun. Meaning that even if this jury found him not guilty, he would at least be spending some time in prison.